We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday visit

Thornton, New...
Level Contributor
967 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday visit

We are so excited to begin work on our "someday" retirement home in Venice. Our first real trip down will be over the Christmas Holiday break. (although we've visited numerous times) Are there special events taking place on New Year's Eve? Someone has mentioned free concerts in a park - featuring bluegrass. (Perhaps the Englewood area?) Any and all suggestions welcomed - most of all we are looking forward to some quiet time on the beach.

Thanks in advance.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday visit

Not a whole goes on in Venice or Englewood at night. There are free concerts downtown Venice occasionally, right in the park on the main street. I think Englewood does have some Bluegrass concerts also. Your best bet is to check out the Venice Gondolier once you are here or the Ticket in the Sarasota Herald to see whats going on for New Year's Eve. Seems I recall Sarasota had a pretty good street party New Year's Eve last year. Welcome to our part of paradise.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,744 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday visit

Don't know the dates when you will be here, but there is the annual Christmas/Holday parade in downtown Venice. The Boat parade is especially nice and festive.

If the budget permits, there is a New Years celebration in downtown Sarasota..lots of fun and many restaurant/pub/tavern options!

~SRQgirl

Thornton, New...
Level Contributor
967 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday visit

SRQ

We will be in the area from 12/28 - 1/03

The Sarasota option sounds interesting - is there a site to watch for info?

Thanks

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,744 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday visit

Yes..it is usually announced in the Sarasota Herald.

You won't be here for the Venice parade, unfortunately.

I have been asked about this quite a bit from many visitors. I will keep you posted. It will depend on raising the funds to pay for the "party". It was great fun in prior years. Basically on Main Street in Sarasota.

www.heraldtribune.com

~SRQgirl

5. Re: Holiday visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Venice