We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas for pre-teens

New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
ideas for pre-teens

Hi

We will be in Venice, FL visiting for the first time the last week in February. We will be traveling from Boston, the temp right now is in the teens, so anything will be warmer for us. However, if it too cold (or rainy) for the boys to just hang at the beach, what kind of things are there to do for pre-teens? Traveling about an hour from Venice if needed is ok.

thank you for your time and help.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,930 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas for pre-teens

The weather should be OK, but you never know that time of year- right now it is OK there.

Venice isn't really geared up for the young, but there is plenty to do there and nearby. I suggest fishing from the pier. under 16s don't need a licence, so you just buy (at walmart) or rent a pole and get some bait from the bait shop. Strolling the beaches is fun, looking for sharks teeth. Boating trips to see dolphins and manatees, or fishing. Take them up to Sarasota for the Mote Aquarium and the G Wiz science museum.

And Busch Gardens isn't far at just over an hour away.

New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas for pre-teens

Hi

Thank you for your reply.. I will look into the boating for manatees~ that sound like fun! I should have said we are visiting family that just relocated there full time. (The reason why we are going to Venice and they don't quite know the area yet) Do they need a licensed adult with them to fish? I haven't heard of the Mote Aquarium and will look into that also.

We will take a day trip to Sea World... adding Bush Gardens sounds like a possibility too.

thank you for your time. This is exactly the help I was looking for!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,930 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas for pre-teens

SW is about twice as far away as BG but is doable. What e do if going to Orlando to a Theme park is spend one night, that way when we get up we can go to a waterpark or a shopping and minigolf or Downtown Disney or something.

As for fishing, I beleive that as long as you aren't fishing, but they are, you don't need a licence for the adult with them. I never hold the pole/reel in etc, although I have been known to bait a hook or two ;-)

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,674 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ideas for pre-teens

There are many things to do with preteens if the weather isn't perfect.

It has been unseasonably cold and rainy here this winter...the effect of El Nino.. It is going to rain today and is in the 60s. Hopefully, it will be warmer in a few weeks and it definitely will not snow.

Busch Gardens is about 1 hour away and is really a great place to spend the day. There is also a big aquarium in Tampa and the Lowry Park Zoo.

In the local area, Mote Marine Aquarium in interesting and has some additional "nature" boatrides. G-Wiz is on US 41 in downtown Sarasota and is perfect for their age group.

Myakka State Park is east of I-75 on Clark Rd. and has many interesting things to do and see including the "Gator Gal" which is an airboat that looks for gators etc.

The Flying Fish is a party boat that has group fishing trips out in the Gulf

www.flyingfishfleet.com

There is a place called Livingstons on Clark Rd. which has arcade games, pool tables, paint ball etc.

Many options..and there is always the movies...

www.mote.org

www.sarasotafl.org

ww.gwiz.org

What are their interests?

~SRQgirl

Edited: 01 February 2010, 14:21
New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ideas for pre-teens

Thank you again amanx for your reply!

also SRQgirl, amazing help thank you!!

The boys are really easy and their interests vary. (they would love anything from hanging out at the dog beach and toss tennis balls all afternoon to jet skiing) (I just read about that beach)

I told them about the manatee boat tour and that really sparked their interest. Any suggestions for a good tour company? I do not need private, but a fun ride with hopes to see something (dolphins--manatees) and perhaps of the area (Venice--coast) would be fun. (I love to take pictures)

My family just moved down to get away from the cold.. so I thought that was why it was unseasonably cool this year...sorry... lol :o)

The gator gal thing sounds really cool. (for me and the boys!) I will look into that also.

thank you for all your help!

Viv

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,674 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ideas for pre-teens

There are boat rides to see manatees etc. out fo Mote Marine Aquarium..located on the way to Longboat Key.

www.sarasotabayexplorers.com

There is also a great place to rent kayaks and go through mangrove tunnels:

www.kayakfl.com

the name of the company is Almost Heaven .highly recommend.

also:

www.myakkariver.org

www.historicspanishpoint.org

~SRQgirl

New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ideas for pre-teens

Thank you again SRQgirl.

The boys love to kayak. (We had an amazing time this summer in Alaska kayaking and seeing orca in the distance. )

all your suggestions are fabulous.. I am sold on the fishing trip with flyingfishfleet, the gatorgal, and now the kayaking in the mangroves. That along with Sea World (the family really wants this over Bush Gardens) ..wow this is shaping up to be an exciting week. thank you again!

8. Re: ideas for pre-teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2010, 05:18