We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good and the bad....

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clinton, Iowa
Level Contributor
239 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
good and the bad....

A few great places to eat off the beaten path...

Captain Eddies...just on the Nokimis/Venice border..good prices, great food, owners usually there to greet u.

Ntinos... Italian and American, limited menu but great food, esp. the pizza

Free music at the "Venice Avenue" beach. Monday night all accoustic guitars...Amatuer but fantastic!!!

The "bad".... the "red tide' is terrible ! On the beach by the north jetty the odor fo the dead fish by the tideline is really bad. At noon today, there were more vultures feasting on seafood than people!

It's shame the city doesn't put some effort into cleaning it up

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,925 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good and the bad....

We had a soggy crust pizza at Ntinos..not take out..last week.

We had a great pizza from Angelos this afternoon.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 02:26
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,769 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good and the bad....

Lots of times, they need heavy equipment permits to clean the beaches. As they are specially protected for wildlife such as turtle nesting etc.

Did you call the town hall/chamber of commerce and leave a comment/complaint?

TBH, last time there was red tide it was gone by end of Nov.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,925 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good and the bad....

I can' t figure out where this red tide is killing the fish. There are many dead fish in the ICW in Venice. I saw none at Pops on the ICW. I saw none on the beach at Sharkeys. So bottom line..very isolated effects

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,372 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good and the bad....

The Mote website is very informative on Red Tide:

www.mote.org/index.php…

includes beach reports etc.

~SRQgirl

new hampshire
Level Contributor
282 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good and the bad....

love Angelo's pizza! Also any of their food. Great small place to eat in or take out.

Yes the red tide is disgusting! Went to Nokomis beach (north jetty beach) and didn't see dead fish but it looked like they were in the process of cleaning it up. Hope it clear out soon.

Clinton, Iowa
Level Contributor
239 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good and the bad....

from the north jetty area south......high tide lines almost solid dead fish.....

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good and the bad....

My husband and I are thinking of renting in Venice next winter. Is the whole beach area like this. And is it possible to rent a place near enough to shopping etc so that you dont need a car? Diana

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good and the bad....

Is the red tide at all of the beach or just certain areas. If we rent on the beach we don't want the red tide. Is it possible to shop etc without a car?

any other useful info for first timers considering renting in Venice next winter.

D.S.P

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,372 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good and the bad....

That is a post from February. It is no longer like that here. You can look at the Mote website I posted to see weekly updates. This is not an annual event..very unpredictable. has to do with weather, tides, wind direction etc. You can google Red Tide to find more info.

Venice Beach is not next to the downtown Venice shopping area, but it is not very far. How far would you like to walk?

There are many places to rent in all price ranges. No matter where you decide to rent, you will need a car.

~SRQgirl

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,298 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: good and the bad....

Impossible to say if the red tide will be present next Winter.

Get answers to your questions about Venice