We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shark teeth in Venice Florida

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
shark teeth in Venice Florida

I am considering taking my 10 year old son to Venice, Florida in March because he loves sharks' teeth. However, it is not an inexpensive trip from SC. Are there really lots of them on the beach? I would hate to go and be lucky to find one or two. Thanks.

Margie

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,716 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shark teeth in Venice Florida

Yes, but it depends.

Recently, I have found many more on Manasota Key next door. Sometimes, I find loads and loads of them.

But there is a knack to finding them, you need to have a good eye. My OH isn't very good at finding them at all, but my son and I find loads. Triangular in shape, with a sheen if the enamel is still there, mostly black but I find many brown and some grey ones too. You find them in the shell bands on the beach mostly, so tide can make a difference.

By the way, the place I learned to find them was growing up having my summer holidays on the beach at Garden City SC lol.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,336 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shark teeth in Venice Florida

Invest a few bucks in one of these: http://www.shoreproducts.com/

we had some decent luck at Caspersen Beach fun-florida-getaways.com/caspersen-beach-sna…

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,716 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shark teeth in Venice Florida

I have one of these, and my son likes to use it- but I find more with my eyes walking along the beach.

But they come into their own at high tide when the shell bands are in water.

And for fishermen, do you ever see sand fleas? We had loads of them in SC but I never see any along the gulf.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,336 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shark teeth in Venice Florida

We bought some for the kids to use when we were there, a friend goes all the time and she suggests the best pickings is just after a good storm.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,716 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shark teeth in Venice Florida

Yes, after storms is good, but if we get a big one (like say Debbie), that moves a lot of sand so sometimes you don't find them on beaches you used to before.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shark teeth in Venice Florida

Thank you very much. LOL re Garden City. It is lovely.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shark teeth in Venice Florida

Thank you.

Union, Kentucky
Level Contributor
160 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shark teeth in Venice Florida

We have found more at Stump Pass Beach State Park on Manasota Key than at the beaches in Venice. There is a parking fee of (I think) 2 dollars and sometimes the lot fills up quickly, especially on the weekends in the high season. I have also had better luck when the tide is low. Happy hunting!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,716 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shark teeth in Venice Florida

It is 3 dollars all day but you can leave and return on the same pas- it's a state park and they charge by the day.

If you are resident, or just stay for a few months on Winter, can be cheaper to buy a State park annual pass, but will be good for other FL state parks if you go on day trips etc.

CENTRAL WI
Level Contributor
775 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shark teeth in Venice Florida

i acually found 40-50 today alone,, its very exciting ,, look in the major small shell area,s

Get answers to your questions about Venice