We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surf lessons near Venice, Florida

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
surf lessons near Venice, Florida

Hi!

I've read that surfing is pretty good near Venice, Florida. Does anyone know of anyone that gives lessons in that area? We'll be staying on Siesta Key and can't stray TOO far.

Thanks in advance!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: surf lessons near Venice, Florida

I am sure you can find surfing lessons on Siesta Key.

You can inquire at C.B.s on Siesta.

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: surf lessons near Venice, Florida

Gulf Coast of Florida is not great for really good surfing; the waters are definitely calmer than on the East Coast and in no way can they compare to California or Hawaii. Maybe parasailing? Maybe windsurfing? But don't pack a board to ride some big ones in Venice!

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
319 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: surf lessons near Venice, Florida

Hello ChicagoPalms!!

I have been a resident of Venice for 20 years, since I was 10, (originally from the Chicago area, actually) and my boyfriend and I are avid surfers. The only reason why we see swell in this area is due to hurricanes or cold fronts, (when the wind is going the right direction to bring the swell). December-February will bring good conditions but this is when the water is freezing and a full wet suit is needed. If you are lucky enough to see swell, the best place to surf is North Jetty (in Nokomis, 15 miles south of Siest Key) or South Jetty (on the island of Venice). www.gulfster.com is a great website to see what we get here.

As far as surfing lessons, there aren't any companies that I am aware of. As the previous poster said, don't plan on waves here, we are not a surfing destination. The east coast of FL gets waves more consistantly (places like Indiatlantic and Sebastian Inlet; about 3 hours east of us).

Have fun! This is the best area in Florida, in my opinion!

san diego
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: surf lessons near Venice, Florida

Don't get your hopes up when you're there. It most likely won't see surf. Check the reports, and if the surf comes up, get a local to teach you for 20 bucks or so. That part of the coast is really hit or miss.. mostly miss. We spent 10 days in siesta key last winter, and it never got big enough to surf. Great beaches, tourism, and deep sea fishing though...

florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: surf lessons near Venice, Florida

I agree with what everyone else said. What gave them the idea that surfing was good on the gulf? I live near the other coast, the Atlantic, and one of the reasons I love the Gulf Coast instead of the Atlantic is because IT IS so calm. I love the calm waters, and it's a bit saltier too.

6. Re: surf lessons near Venice, Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 14:27