We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vero beach golf central beach October

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Vero beach golf central beach October

We are in our 60's, staying in Central Beach area in mid-late October. He is an avid golfer, so need advice re: courses, particularly if Indian River is open to visitor tee time. Also, advice on shopping/restaurants in this area, near Jaycee Park. I love a good bargain, are there any good upscale thrift/consignment stores (within driving distance)? Seaside clothing/home accessories are my favorite things to hunt for. Will there be any festivals/open markets, etc? What do you recommend as "not to be missed"? Oh, and a good doggie day care nearby?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vero beach golf central beach October

I can't speak personally for the golf courses but have friends who play at Sandridge out on 58th Ave and they also like the Sebastian Golf course about 30 minutes north. You might check with Pointe West near I-95 to see if they are open to the public. Same with Orchid Isle. Both of those would be nice courses if available.

Check the Vero Beach Press Journal for activities, www.tcpalm.com. Also look for activities at the Riverside Theater. They sometimes have art shows, and different things going on in the park.

Its been a while since I have visited the thrift stores down there but they and the antiques shops used to be located along 14th Ave, a couple on US1 south of 17th St, and 1 or 2 on Old Dixie Hwy. There may be some along route 60 also. You can also check Craigs List for Garage Sales.

There are a few cute shops near Humiston Park beachside, the Shops of Orchid Isle north of there are very upscale & expensive. On route 60 near I-95 is the Indian River Mall, also typical box stores like Ross, TJ Maxx, Target, Walmart and on the other side of I-95 is an outlet mall. You might find a couple of shops on 14th Ave too. There is a Tuesday Morning on US1 near Publix and 5-Guys burgers.

Further south in Stuart they have a large Flea Market you might google that to see if its worth making a trip down. Stuart is a nice area. Don't waste time on the one on US1 in Ft. Pierce. Also Sebastian has some festivals and art shows in their Riverfront Park quite frequently. Its not that far to drive up there. Visit Captain Hirams for a drink or dine out over the water at Squid Lips.

Bluerusso can give you a list of good restaurants. Ocean Grill and Lemon Tree are popular beachside. I believe there is a good one at South Beach and a few near the Merrill Barber bridge are good places to eat. There is supposed to be a really good Italian Restaurant on US1 and a little seafood place too, unfortunately I do not know the names of these but maybe blue will know.

Hope this helps a little.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vero beach golf central beach October

Thanks Wheels!

Any info is MOST appreciated....we are thinking 5 days at St. Augustine (& the golf in that area), and 3-4 days Vero Beach.....and we are definitely seafood aficionados....we live on the Gulf, so looking for fresh Atlantic fare.

I just thought Vero might be a good place to walk the beach, visit a few shops, he'll play a round golf .... Is Vero good for this, or is there another "small town Florida" that might be more appropriate? We don't drink or party, so not into a bar scene. (We haven't booked our accommodations, yet).

Thanks again!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vero beach golf central beach October

Right outside of St. Augustine is the World Golf Village resort. You don't have to stay there to play and from what I understand its a super course, lots of famous players have played there. I think there are some other good courses up there.

Vero Beach is a small town. I lived there for a few years many years ago so a lot of things have changed. I travel there occasionally for shopping and just some place different. Its a nice place.

As far as an area with a little more options a lot of people like Clearwater Beach, Siesta Key or Sanibel Island on our gulf coast. It will be more crowded but has a lot more shops, etc you can walk to. Singer Island in Palm Beach is a little more expensive but also popular and near some good golf courses down there.

Our Atlantic beaches have great sunrises but seas are stronger which is why the surfers like the Atlantic side. August can be calm or if we have any storms nearby then it will be pretty rough. The gulf side has wide soft sugar sand beaches with lots of seashells, great sunsets and calmer seas.

Believe it or not its hard to find really good fresh seafood in Florida. So many fishing restrictions have made it where many places are purchasing fish from Africa and other countries. Some fish I see on menus I have never even heard of. However with that said you can still find some places with pretty good food. Riverside Cafe in Vero Beach is popular and there are some new places that I don't know the name of that are near there and supposed to be very good.

I imagine the local DE will chime in soon with info. Bluerusso lives there so may have a little more info to help. I live in Melbourne about 1 hour north of there however we only have 4 chain hotels beachside and not much in walking distance. We do have a nice little downtown area just across the causeway with little shops, restaurants, bars and art. We have a good variety of restaurants to choose from, probably quite a few more than Vero Beach has. Quite a few golf courses here too.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vero beach golf central beach October

bornwithwheels has pretty much covered things. October is off-season, so some of the more upscale golf courses might have tee times available. I'm not a golfer, so am clueless. Do try the Vero Beach Country Club on the mainland, the oldest course in the area.

Thrift and consignment shops are concentrated along 14th Ave., the main "downtown" street on the mainland. St. Vincent DePaul Thrift Shop is outstanding. Also antiques and art. There's also several on Miracle Mile west of Fresh Market and across from Publix.

Back of Kmart (to its west) is Tambourine Thrift Shop,1619 10th Ave. It tends toward Barrier Island luxe, apparently mostly Johns Island.

The barrier island is too expensive for such businesses. One of the more interesting businesses is Laughing Dog Gallery, on Cardinal west of Humiston Park. Crafts, largely glass.

Restaurants will not be busy, so will have incentives to visit. The town is stuffed with them.

October is a busy month for surfers, but Vero's offshore reefs usually break up whatever swells are coming in. If a hurricane or storm swell is underway, almost anywhere north of us is a good place to watch surfers. Best would be Sebastian Inlet State Park. The National Weather Service has good surf-zone forecasts.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vero beach golf central beach October

Sebastian Inlet is a nice day trip. Pack a cooler for a picnic or have lunch at Disneys Vero Beach resort along the way. Take the old Tropical trail road just north of Johns Island for a scenic drive. This will cross Cty Rd 510 and come out a few miles south of the inlet. There is also a large thrift shop on Cty Rd 510 across US Hwy 1 about 7 miles from Hwy A1A. If you decide to day trip to Sebastian (the city rather than the inlet) there will be a couple of thrift shops and antique stores in Sebastian. Once near Sebastian look for Indian River drive to take the scenic route altho the thrift shops will not be on this route. You could spend a couple hours poking around the shops if your husband wants to play golf at Sebastian.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vero beach golf central beach October

This modest course reopened after a long closure. I wouldn't expect the fairways to be in the best condition. From US 1, one of the greens looks as though it might be OK.

http://americangolfclubverobeach.com

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vero beach golf central beach October

Bluerusso,

Thanks for your helpful info! We are planning on booking a private condo for 4 days in Cental Vero, near the boardwalk/beach, after staying at Laterra near the World Golf Village for 5 days (to golf and tour St. Augustine)...he's got to have some golf, so a couple rounds at Sawgrass and King & Squire may take care of that. I'm limited in endurance, so trips for me have to be limited in walking.

Is 4 days 3 nights good for just chillin', a couple of good restaurants OR a good deli/grocery with pre-prepared entrees we can take to our unit and heat? (Something like Fresh Market, if you are familiar with that chain) We will be traveling with our pup, a 14# King Charles Spaniel, so is Vero pet friendly? If not, I'll need to find a doggie day care for a few hours on one day....

Thanks for your responses! (I don't know why I didn't get an email notification of your responses from TripAdvisor, or I'd responded sooner!)

Edited: 27 May 2014, 05:22
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vero beach golf central beach October

I think the World Golf Village will be pretty satisfying.

Check the public Sandridge Golf Club.

http://www.sandridgegc.com/index.htm

In terms of dogs, the city parks including beach parks prohibit dogs, but the beach prohibition is widely ignored after hours. There are street-end public beach access points. There's a couple of dog parks and the tennis center (south of the art museum) apparently sells used tennis balls.

www.covb.org/index.asp…

We have a Fresh Market on the mainland, across from Publix and close to Cheese Cave, which is good for sandwiches and some specialty frozen ravioli. TooJays deli close to Publix also has take-out items, as does Publix Deli. I haven't visited Chelsea's in a long while.

http://chelseasoncardinal.com/

The boardwalk area of the beach might be a bit far for you to walk to the central shopping/restaurant area, but there will be plenty of parking, especially evenings.

As usual, there's a chance of hurricanes before your visit, so everything is assuming that the town is intact and operating normally. This past winter was probably the busiest since 2008. Four days seems plenty, unless you encounter unbeatable golf deals.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vero beach golf central beach October

We will be staying at Indian Lilac and Ocean drive in Vero, picked primarily for pet friendly AND (stated) very close to the boardwalk/beach, less than a block...does that sound right? (Hope it's a good location to be in!) Good to know a Fresh Market &Publix are close (driving).

We live on the Gulf in Texas, so well acquainted with Hurricane season (and another reason for traveling mid-Oct....fewer storms once the first couple of cold fronts come through). Plus, I love when sm. towns 'dress-up' for Halloween/Fall!

He's looking forward to golf/St. Augustine....I picked Vero for peace and close-by beach walking (have to drive 10-15 min.to get to our beach here...we live on a bay). I can't go to high altitude areas or fly, so coastal driving is necessary; and can't manage walking inclines/stairs/hills very well (I have IPF). Vero seemed like a nice kinda sleepy beach town...but I'm a "beach gurl" through & through!

Thanks bluerusso! (How did you get your screen name? Mine is pretty self explanatory! LOL Speaking of strange fish, I had piranha somewhere last year and it was a good fish! We have shrimp in abundance here but I miss Atlantic fish, though probably more North Atlantic fish than is available there)

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vero beach golf central beach October

You will be a very short distance from a New York City entrepreneur/developer's high-concept Modern new beach house, which of course is hiding behind lots of unimaginative landscaping. Also several vaguely Tuscan spec-built beach houses. There's more tear-downs on waterfront on the Indian River side. You are also a very short distance to ice cream and to the breakfast/lunch place at Jaycee Park.

The boardwalk itself is supposedly no-dogs and there's no street-end access to the beach until you go south to Beachland Blvd (Sexton Plaza, with the Holiday Inn/Mulligans and Ocean Grill). While the boardwalk itself survived the 2004 hurricanes more or less undamaged, sand under it disappeared and so did most of the street. Most condos in the area suffered modest damage, while the Twin Spires (the only tall buildings in the county) were pretty much stripped to the concrete structure and refurbished with new interiors, windows, balcony railings. It was a separate matter, but their parking structure did flood, once. The City responded with a new storm sewer line. Next to the Spires, the Vero Beach Hotel and Spa combines the skeleton of the former Doubletree with a new structure to the north, built post-hurricane. The area north of the Spires (with the NYC house) was once slated to become a big Marriott.

Fish are reasonably available, but Florida's saltwater fishing is heavily skewed toward recreational. A net ban a decade or so ago forced fishing families out of business and expansion of cruise lines at Port Canaveral has squeezed out fishing. I don't know what happened to the once-thriving crab business in the Indian River north of us. There's still commercial activity at Sebastian. But yes, there's a lot to be said for northern fish. For what it's worth, there is massive mislabeling of fish in restaurants, especially grouper, which might be tilapia. It doesn't help that there's a lot of species in the grouper-snapper complex.

A block south of Sexton Plaza and a block inland is the popular Casey's sandwich place, outdoor seating only.

Get answers to your questions about Vero Beach