We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manatee viewing in/close by Vero Beach

Chantilly, Virginia
3 posts
Save Topic
Manatee viewing in/close by Vero Beach

Hi, We'll be in Vero Beach the week of July 28th and I would like to see, or better yet swim in a place with Manatees. I know there are places on the west coast around Crystal River, but i will not have time to drive across the state. I've been reading all the restrictions to safeguard them and have no desire to touch, but just to see them either above or below water would be amazing.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,590 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manatee viewing in/close by Vero Beach

I don't think you will find many manatees in the Vero Beach area at this time of year. They are a winter visitor. There is not really any nice clear water to swim with them either. The Indian River is somewhat clear at times but not anything like the springs on the gulf coast. The only place in the area that I know of would be down to Hutchinson Island at the Power plant. That is a known hang out for them, but again, wrong time of year, don't know if any would be around during the summer. That and I have seen them in the Sebastian Inlet occasionally which is about 45 minutes north of Vero Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Sebastian
Sebastian
Florida
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manatee viewing in/close by Vero Beach

The only place it is legal to swim with the manatees in FL-on a tour- is in Crystal River.

Mentioned in this post
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,023 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manatee viewing in/close by Vero Beach

Round Island Park on the barrier island at the south end of Indian River County is a possibility, but manatees tend to be widely dispersed in the summer.

Middle of the...
Level Contributor
350 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manatee viewing in/close by Vero Beach

We took our grandkids to Round Island over the 4th and saw a dozen or more manatees swimming under the bridge. Also found some at the tidal pool at Sebastian Inlet swimming through the opening in the rocks. Surprisingly they also saw some dolphin there. Those are the places I would try but no guarantees.

Mentioned in this post
Sebastian
Sebastian
Florida
5. Re: Manatee viewing in/close by Vero Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Vero Beach