We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turnpike vs I-95 (PBI - Plantation - Port of Miami)

Yul
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Turnpike vs I-95 (PBI - Plantation - Port of Miami)

Here is my situation:

Arriving at 5:51 pm on a Friday at PBI - renting a car to our hotel in Plantation (yes I know it's not the best choice but I used points to get the room).

On Saturday, leaving Plantation around 11:00 am to go the Port of Miami.

What would be the best choice for both? How expensive is the Turnpike?

Thanks

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turnpike vs I-95 (PBI - Plantation - Port of Miami)

NO question. Take the Turnpike. About a third of the traffic, much fewer accidents and much faster moving! It is not expensive at all. Probably less than $8 for the whole distance. Friday night is no time to be on I 95 unless you need to be!

Yul
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turnpike vs I-95 (PBI - Plantation - Port of Miami)

Thanks for the tip.

Another question comes to mind - are there HOV lanes on the turnpike or I-95 (Southbound or Northbound) between PBI and Miami?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turnpike vs I-95 (PBI - Plantation - Port of Miami)

Maybe down closer to Miami on 95. Still not worth it. Traffic really piles up on 95 and almost all of the large trucks use it. Accidents are commonplace at all times of day. Not something you are likely to experience on the Turnpike.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,976 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turnpike vs I-95 (PBI - Plantation - Port of Miami)

There are definitely HOV lanes on I-95 south of thePalm Beach Airport as we used them to get back to Fort Lauderdale from Palm Beach Airport in September- we cruised right along past the traffic jams at rush hour .

That said however, since Plantation is west of town theTurnpike will likely take you closer to your destination anyway- exiting at Sunrise Blvd. There is construction at the Commercial Blvd exit to the North which causes traffic jams, but I believe everything at Sunrise and the Turnpike shuold be AOK. I don't know the toll, probably just a few dollars. If your hotel is on teh south end of Plantation, you could possibly go a bit further south on the Turnpike and exit at I595/State Rd 84- that actually runs into the south end of Plantation and may put you closer ( is your hotel closer to Sunrise Blvd or Peters Rd?)

To Port of Miami , you might as well go I-95- I don't see any advantage to the Turnpike and traffic shouldn't be bad on that day and hour. Might be to your advantage to go south ( probably on University Dr) and then East on I-595 to get to I-95 to avoid the stop and go traffic going east- there is no other east - west thruway at all.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,976 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turnpike vs I-95 (PBI - Plantation - Port of Miami)

I need to update and correct my post, as we just came through WPB on I-95 on our way back from Cedar Key ( a quaint little place on the west coast of FL- reminded me of Key West 20 years ago).

Anyway, I was a bit off about the HOV lanes- they actually don't start till Lantana, just south of WPB and only run at rush hour (4-6 in the evening,, M-Fri- I didn't note am hours. ) The area around the Airport on I-95 has a lot of construction, which never seems to end- perhaps they will have HOV lanes there if they ever finish it ( honestly every time I go that way it is under construction!) . At any rate didn't want to misinform!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turnpike vs I-95 (PBI - Plantation - Port of Miami)

The West Palm Beach area is scheduled for I 95 construction for the next 4 yrs minimum...again, I suggest the FL Turnpike for anyone traveling btwn PBI and any Points South of say, Boca. The odds of light traffic, no constrution and no accidents on 95 aren't good, sure hope it improves but we aren't counting on it.

West Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
830 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turnpike vs I-95 (PBI - Plantation - Port of Miami)

Hands down....Turnpike.

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turnpike vs I-95 (PBI - Plantation - Port of Miami)

Unless you have a death wish and totally LOVE being completely stressed out by the time you arrive at your destination - no question about it - TAKE THE TURNPIKE!!! I-95 gets worse the farther south you drive!

9. Re: Turnpike vs I-95 (PBI - Plantation - Port of Miami)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about West Palm Beach
Recent Conversations