We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Car needed

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is Car needed

Will be flying into West Palm Beach in November for 5-6 days. Will visit Palm Beach. Planning to stay at Marriott WPB on Okeechobee Blvd. Is a car needed for WPB? I thought I could rent a car for a day trip to Delray or Boyton Bch. Will appreciate feedback and thanks in advance!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Car needed

You'll have downtown WPB almost at your doorstep with CityPlace and the Clematis Street district walking distance for great shopping, restaurants and entertainment.

If you're renting a car to go south to Boynton Beach and Delray Beach, you may also want to consider going north to Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Juno Beach. Depends on what you're looking to see and do. Different kinds of activities (water and land), variety of restaurants, etc. Beyond the confines of downtown, you would need a car, unless you like riding a bus for long distances. WPB itself is spread out.

West Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
818 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Car needed

I recommend a car. You do have a lot fairly close, however on a grander scale, Florida is spread out and you may want the flexibility to see a little of everything. Even the beach is not in walking disatnce from where you are staying, it is close, but not walking distance.

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
55 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Car needed

That is a tough question - it all depends on what you are looking to do. You may not need a car if want to take a train somewhere (and then a bus). It really depends on your plan. Two days is not very long so I would probably pass on the car.

Train info at www.tri-rail.com. Your hotel is virtually next to the train station but I can tell you that your stop is definitely the most convenient on the whole corridor so you pretty much need a car, bus, or taxi if you get off anywhere else!

You are close enough to West Palm's downtown to walk especially to the Kravis Center or City Place. Clematis Street has a lot of very cool hang outs like Roxy's Pub, Dr. Feelgood's, Rocco's Taco's, and a new "Off the Hookah" just to name a tiny few. It is a bit further from the hotel but there are free trolleys that run between City Place and Clematis. That hotel has a shuttle as well.

With 11/5 being a Thursday, I would highly recommend www.clematisbynight.net - it is a 6pm to 9:30pm weekly event that takes place right in the heart of the downtown (and it's new $30 million) waterfront. Cool bands, cool people, cool places to hang. Pizza Girls is a MUST!

West Palm's downtown has plenty for you to do so I say ditch the car idea and have a great time in the city! http://cityofwpb.org/

4. Re: Is Car needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 05:17