We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you take a dip in the ocean in late Febuary?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Can you take a dip in the ocean in late Febuary?

We are contemplating visiting WPB for a week getaway. How are the beaches there? Is it warm enough? too cold? How about snorkeling and other water sports. Never been to West Palm Beach. What is the thing to do there? How about going to a water park, how is the water temp there? Would we be shivering?

Distressed Mom

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,657 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you take a dip in the ocean in late Febuary?

The major water park I know of , Rapids, is closed currently till Mar. 11 when it will open based on a day to day decision about the weather, which is typical of every year.

I know some people from up north happily go in the Ocean in February here, but for most of us locals it is not desirable- not only because of the water temps ( we are used to warm bath like water in our prime beaching months) but also because of thechill when you emerge wet. But maybe I'm more cowardly than some other posters , so let's keep this bumped up and see what they think. I know for some visitors from colder spots , our winter water is warmer than theirs is in summer.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you take a dip in the ocean in late Febuary?

Thank you lulu too. Am coming from NY but I also like going to a beach that's warm, In fact, I do like it boiling hot. My guess, is it's too cold. I've heard 70's is the water temp in the ocean. What about key west? Are the waters there cold or warms in Feb. Otherwise it would just defeat the whole purpose of getting away from our very nasty winter this year.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,657 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you take a dip in the ocean in late Febuary?

Average Ocean temp in Key West Jan- Mar is 72.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,657 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you take a dip in the ocean in late Febuary?

But I also want to say that if I were from NYC , I'd be down here in February in a flash- even if I had to settle for a heated pool or hot tub or just tanning in a cabana chair- some days are warmer than others in February ( it was almost 80 yesterday and will be only a low 70's high tomorrow going down in the 40's at night) - but to you that should sound glorious.

West Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you take a dip in the ocean in late Febuary?

Water is cold in Feb. Locals typically do not start emerging back in until May. On another note, most tourists do find it desirable as it is much warmer than what they are used to, even in their summer months.

Earth
Level Contributor
98 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you take a dip in the ocean in late Febuary?

You can go to the beach anytime you want. The beach parking is free on weekends and there are plenty of things to do in west palm beach like shopping and eating all next to eachother on rosemary avenue.

7. Re: Can you take a dip in the ocean in late Febuary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2012, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about West Palm Beach