We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cockroach in my luggage, AAAARGH! Panic, but what else?

Nokia, Finland
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
Cockroach in my luggage, AAAARGH! Panic, but what else?

Hi,

first, just so you know, cockroaches will NOT die during a long flight. I had always believed they did as I thought the luggage was in a freezing temperature during the flight.

Hubby unpacked during the day, putting away new clothes etc in his cupboards.

I started unpacking tonight, and what did I find? A very live and happy baby roach.

Our motel had roaches, and no spraying could get rid of them. We were super careful all the time, never left our luggage unzipped, and shook all our stuff before we packed them. All our purchases were kept in the back of our car until it came time to pack. Oh and we checked and re-checked for roaches before leaving - or so we thought.

We left our luggage in the car for a night when we arrived to Finland just to make sure.

And after all this, a roach. I do not believe it was the only one. Or, let´s say I am morbidly terrified it was not the only one.

What on earth do I do now?

My luggage is having a nice sauna right now, with all my laundry + new clothes + hubby´s empty (?) luggage.

We do not have cockroaches in Finland, and I do not know what to do. We have three cats, so I cannot just start spraying everywhere, not that I have anything to spray with or even know if roach poison is available in Finland.

Any ideas? Please?

The thought of roaches infesting our home is like something out of a horror movie for me.

Otherwise, our holiday was lovely.

:O(

Anne

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Cockroach in my luggage, AAAARGH! Panic, but what else?

Check and see if you have bait traps. They will get rid of any and all, without dangerous sprays. Combat and Raid have them here in the states. Are you sure they are roaches. They could be palmetto bugs, in which case once you stomp out the originals, you should not have a problem. Palmetto bugs are bigger.

Nokia, Finland
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Cockroach in my luggage, AAAARGH! Panic, but what else?

I got to know roaches in the motel very well....sadly, these are roaches all right.

I just ordered a couple of roach motels from Ebay, as we do not have any in Finland.

Thank you for your kind suggestion!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Cockroach in my luggage, AAAARGH! Panic, but what else?

Chop off a roaches head and it will die either of thirst or starvation.

Hardy creatures.

Just accept they won``t kill you and get on with things.

Seriously.

If your concerned you`ve inadvertantly introduced an alien species into your countries eco system you really need to inform the authorities FAST.

Any alien species can destroy native flora and fauna.

Edited: 11 December 2011, 01:40
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Cockroach in my luggage, AAAARGH! Panic, but what else?

It is likely your cats would chase and kill any roaches in your home. Otherwise stomp on or whack with a shoe, any roaches you see and then flush them down the toilet.

Baby roaches are very small and very easy to crush between your fingers, so I'm thinking you have some older than a "baby," perhaps a small roach.

Please do other travelers a favor and write a review of where you stayed to let them know of the roach problem.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,266 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Cockroach in my luggage, AAAARGH! Panic, but what else?

Let's be realistic. Roaches are almost impossible to completely get rid of in Florida. One small roach hidden in the luggage should be simple to kill...end of story. Any bag or box can hide a roach, this does not imply an infestation. Doubt you will see another in Finland. They thrive in warm moist climates. Most likely you can find borax, sprinkle a little if you are that concerned.

Nokia, Finland
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Cockroach in my luggage, AAAARGH! Panic, but what else?

I realize they are not a big deal in Florida, just something you have to live with, maybe control. Possibly like a house fly over here, you wouldn´t worry or even notice it unless there were lots.

I am over-reacting very probably, but I am going for overkill: The luggage + all my stuff spent a couple of hours in a hot sauna (I read this would get rid of them, agg to mature ones) and I´ve ordered three different kinds of roach baits, just to make sure.

It is true winter over here, so it is very cold outside but we are heating our home. The air is very dry though, so hopefully any "guests" will not like it here.

True, my indoor cats love to hunt any tiny insect around, so I am hoping they will get them, if indeed there even are any left! I only SAW the one, but if there´s one, there could be more, right?

When the baits arrive, I´ll hide them carefully into places my cats won´t reach. And, yes, hopefully, END OF STORY!

Thank you for reading and thank you everybody for your input!!

:O)

Anne

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,266 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: Cockroach in my luggage, AAAARGH! Panic, but what else?

If you only saw one that most likely is end of story. We live in Florida and see about one a year inside. Usually when a paper bag or brown box has come inside. If your purchases were in the trunk then into luggage that may be how it survived. They for some reason hide in those bags. Never heard about a sauna as roach control? At any rate hopefully the one is dead. NO way is it "acceptable" to see numerous roaches in a Florida hotel. Do post a review. Pest Control is a must for any clean motel/hotel. While one may be seen occasionally you should not have gotten to know them well in any decent establishment. Outside they are difficult to control, inside not!

Juno Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
993 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Cockroach in my luggage, AAAARGH! Panic, but what else?

I would not have tolerated roaches in my hotel room. We travel often throughout Florida and have never had a problem. As another poster suggested, please post the hotel you stayed at or do a review.

As for roaches surviving in only warm zones - not true. Having done home care nursing, I can assure you they do thrive in cold zones. We found them in numerous homes in Buffalo N.Y.

That said, I highly doubt that you will have a infestation problem.

Glad you did enjoy your vacation.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,011 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Cockroach in my luggage, AAAARGH! Panic, but what else?

I agree that if you had roaches at your hotel you should have asked to change rooms or check out.

And do name and shame them here.

Just be glad you haven't brought home Bedbugs as they are very hard to get rid of.

Nokia, Finland
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Cockroach in my luggage, AAAARGH! Panic, but what else?

Oh the one I saw at my home is most definitely dead. I killed it with my bare hands.

I studied the life cycles etc of roaches on the net and found they cannot tolerate very hot temperatures, thus the hot, hot sauna session.

I haven´t seen any after the one I killed, and I sincerely hope it was the only one I brought home! My 100 $ wortth of three different types of roach baits will arrive soon (I hope!!) and I will put them out where my cats cannot reach them.

I have such mixed feelings about writing a review, as the motel owner is such a great guy. Hint: it was the same motel I stayed on my first-ever trip to USA in 2009, and then I did not see the tiniest insect inside, not even a fly!

But, the room WAS roach-infested. We hunted them every time we returned to the motel, every morning, all the time. Tiny ones, middle-size ones, huge ones.

And, when we checked out, I saw a big amount of tiny baby roaches happily running around on the counter I was leaning on! So there obviously is a problem there. :O( I will NOT return there if they do not take properly care of their problem.

I talked about our problem to the owner almost daily, begging him to spray, and I know he did. Obviously the problem was too big to control without an exterminator.

And, yes, except for the roach thing, our holiday was so wonderful, it was almost like being in paradise!!

:O)

Anne

Get answers to your questions about West Palm Beach