We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conference stay.

canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Conference stay.

Will be attending a conference in West PALM beach (convention centre) mid February. We ( 3 fiftyish educators)are not wanting to stay in a chain hotel just for the convenience of being close to the conference. Any advice on whether it is a wise choice to look for a vacation rental on Singer Island or at least close to the water in Palm Beach? We will not have a rental car. Thanks for any ideas!

Mentioned in this post
McCarthy's Wildlife Sanctuary
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Zoos
Okeeheelee Park
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks
Manatee Lagoon
Children's Museums, Science Museums, Speciality Museums
West Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
869 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conference stay.

If you stayed on Singer Island(which is beautiful), you would need a rent a car as it is about a 15 minute drive to the convention area. Most of the hotels on Singer Island are affiliated w/ a chain however, but are quite nice. If you decided to go ahead and get the car, then maybe look into those areas.

Regarding Palm Beach, there are several hotels that you could choose from. The most expensive being the Breakers which is directly on the beach. I am not certain what you budget is but it is very pricey. You could also look into

http://www.bradleyparkhotel.com/

http://www.palmbeachhotelfl.com/

http://www.thecolonypalmbeach.com/

All the above may be better financial seelctions, and are all quite lovely. All hotels on Palm Beach can easily be gotten to the convention center via cabbie with no problem.

Another suggestion, however it is a chain, is the Hyatt in downtown. It is directly b/w the convention center, and the beach. It is in a lovely location near the center of everything that you may want to see downtown, and right over the bridge from the beach. I would at least give it a consideration. Have a wonderful stay. It is beautiful in Feb!

Mentioned in this post
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
270 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conference stay.

In my opinion if you want to be either on Singer Island or Palm Beach you would find it all around more convenient to have a rental car. Singer Island , as previously mentioned, you would have to have a rental car. Palm Beach maybe not as much but taking cabs all over, to me, would be tiresome.

Is you goal to be by the beach or is it just to avoid a chain hotel? You can check for vacation rentals in either the Flamingo Park neighborhood (just South of the Convention Center & within walking distance) or City Place (just across the street from the Convention Center & within walking distance). Neither of these places is close to the beach but you would get the flavor of a local area.

Mentioned in this post
canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conference stay.

Thank you for the suggestions! Do you think the neighbourhood of Grandview would suit as well? According to maps it should only be a15 minute walk? We would like to be near the beach but the prices seem high on Singer Island for our conference budget. (300-350/night)We are not planning to rent a car if we can avoid it as once again the prices are about 85$/day right now..ouch!

Mentioned in this post
Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
154 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conference stay.

Grandview would be an option for you, but I think your best bet would be to stay at the Marriott Courtyard Airport. The rates will be less than Singer Island and downtown, and it has a free shuttle that can take you anywhere downtown and close to the beach. I had family stay there and loved the shuttle and hotel's little restaurant. It meant they didn't have to rent a car or rely on my the whole time.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Conference stay.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about West Palm Beach