We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manatee Viewing

Ardsley, PA
Level Contributor
103 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Manatee Viewing

I'm going to be in the West Palm Beach area this weekend with two children (15 & 11). They are interested in seeing Manatees, preferably a boat tour but alternately from a viewing area.

I understand the FPL Riveria Beach viewing area is still closed.

Can anyone recomend something?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
McCarthy's Wildlife Sanctuary
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Zoos
Okeeheelee Park
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks
Manatee Lagoon
Children's Museums, Science Museums, Speciality Museums
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manatee Viewing

Not really any 'viewing area" I know of. There is a boat tour that goes out from the Jupiter Inlet at Bubba Gump's dock. They often see manatee. A bit North from Port Salerno there is another pontoon boat tour that sees even more. They might enjoy the Loggerhead Marine Ctr in Juno Beach or the Oceanographic Institute on Hutchinson Island, Jensen beach.

Mentioned in this post
Jupiter
Jupiter
Florida
Ardsley, PA
Level Contributor
103 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manatee Viewing

Thanks. We've been to the Loggerhead Marinelife Center many times (shame we're just going to miss the release on Thursday). I'll look into your other suggestions.

Appreciate the tips!

Mentioned in this post
Loggerhead Marinelife Center
Loggerhead Marinelife...
955 Reviews
Juno Beach, FL
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manatee Viewing

Oceanographic Center on Hutchinson Island has several lg turtles. Some hands on with stingrays, exhibits and a big lagoon with snook, redfish, snappper, turtles well all kinds of local sealife you can see up close. We are supposed to have a cool spell so maybe the manatee will come in to the ICW. We often go up to the Ft Pierce Jazz Greenmarket on Saturdays and see them there, sometimes a lot of them, since the St Lucie Power Plant is just South. Also they have a manatee viewing tower there..........Too bad Riviera Beach observation area hasn't reopened since 911. This time of year they always seemed to be there. You could always ck at the Riviera Beach Marina or Tiki Restaurant there. I think they have a water taxi type boat that runs back and forth to Peanut Island which could be a good bet!

Mentioned in this post
Peanut Island Park
Peanut Island Park
479 Reviews
Riviera Beach, FL
West Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
869 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manatee Viewing

I actually just saw a bunch this morning along Flagler in Downtown WPB. I run along there 4 days a week, and have been seeing them 3 out of my 4 days weekly for a few months now. You have a good chance, but unfotunately I can not guarantee. If you happen to be in the downtown Clematis area while in town, I do recommend going out on the new docks that they have nuilt along the waterway and looking around. You will have a good chance at least to see a few. Look for flat spots, as they are usually right under the surface. Keep following it, and you will see their snouts come up for air. Have a nice visit.

Mentioned in this post
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manatee Viewing

We just had lunch on Clematis today and walked out on the docks. Didn't see any but it is really warm/hot so maybe they were elsewhere. We do usually see a round flat spot on the surface when they go under and as they don't swim fast if you keep still and watch you may see them come back up. True no matter where you spot one.

6. Re: Manatee Viewing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about West Palm Beach