We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

west palm beach and singer island

ny
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
west palm beach and singer island

i am going to be in singer island only for 2 nights- mini getaway...what should i do while there. do i have enought time to get to WPL and see the musts or should i just stay on singer island and enjoy the beach.

most important...how's the weather there this time of the year? i am flying there on the 26th.

also, we will not be having a car there, could we walk around singer island or we must need to get a cab?

thanks

angelo

West Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
840 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: west palm beach and singer island

If you are only there for 2 nights, you have plenty to do on Singer Island itself. If you decide to take a cab into downtown WPB, or go to City Place, plan on about 25-30 Us dollars each way. The city here is spread out. It really depends on where you are staying on Singer Island regarding if you are in walking distance or not????????????? Over all, Singer Island has plenty to do. There is the Sailfish Marina on the intracoastal side. Out of there you can take various boat cruises. Some are funny...like the history tour, where they boat you around and tell you all the gossip about who lives where etc....through the intracoastal waterways. There is also a sunset cruise.....561-881-9751. They can give you a list of everything they offer. The beach is great up there, so you may want to spend some time on it. If you are a water person, they have Waverunners, parasailing etc.......the Sailfish Marina has some shopping. If you want high end shopping, I would then recommend City Plac, or the Gardens Mall on PGA. It all depneds on what you are interested in doing with your time. Let me know if you need more specific info.

West Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
840 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: west palm beach and singer island

Oops...one more thing...keep you long sleeves at home and put away your jeans...IT"S HOT!...but you do get a breeze off the beach!

ny
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: west palm beach and singer island

thank you very much. one more thing...does it rain a lot in this season? Is Singer island very far from WPB Int'l airport? We eill need to take a cab, I was wondering about the cost. thanks again!

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: west palm beach and singer island

Expect the high & low of the day in West Palm Beach to be 5-10 degrees higher than what it is in New York right now. On the plus side, you will be on the water and there is generally a cool breeze coming off the Ocean. Being on the water also means less rain - my advice would be to prepare for rain and hope for sunshine!

It is just under 15 miles, or a 20 minute drive to Singer Island. The Shuttleservice (561-233-0500) is $12 pp-each way.

What are you looking to do on this little jaunt? Give me some info on yourself and I will try and point you in the right direction.

ny
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: west palm beach and singer island

thanks. i will fly there with my girlfriend. we are both college students. from what i read above in a couple of days if would be better for us to stay just on singer island. we are staying at the Crowne Plaza Ocean Front. Do you know its location? Is it good? does it rain a lot in this period of the year? i know that it is hurricane season.

however, if you could poit out for us good places to eat and stuff to do, even on the beach.

is the airport very far from singer island?

could we walk around it or we must need to take a cab even on it?

thanks very much again.

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: west palm beach and singer island

You will be spending a small fortune on cabs - the Supershuttle will be your cheapest option to and from the airport as a cab will run you $25-$35 each way. I would highly recommend a rental car, that can be a pain when you are under 25 but check there are some rental car companies that will accomodate you.

On the plus side, you are on the beach and the water is great and it is perfect if you are looking to do nothing but hang out and relax. On the down-side there is very little for someone in college to do but hang out and relax. There are quite a few fun places to go but they will all require you to drive - the Rum Bar at Panama Hattie's will probably be a $10-15 (5 mile) cab ride and Sunday nights at the Waterway Cafe which is on the other side of the intracoastal is good. Further down PGA Blvd is Downtown at the Gardens - they have quite a few good restaurants and The Yardhouse is always busy. Downtown West Palm & CityPlace will have action as well but you are looking at a $25 cab ride. On Palm Beach Island, Saturday nights at Cucina del"Arte are usually good.

The Crowne Plaza is nice but do you have to stay here? If not, I could give you a couple of other options. Don't get me wrong, you won't be miserable here but you are stuck there (then again you are going with you girlfriend so who cares).

Weather is a roll of the dice, we have had many more days of "no rain" than "rain". But if a low front comes in, you could be in danger of having everyday being rainy and gray, if a high front you will have non-stop sun. Don't worry about a hurricaine I don't think there is anything looming in the next week.

West Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
840 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: west palm beach and singer island

Ironically enough, this is where I am getting married in April...so I know a weeeeee bit of info on the Crowne=) The resort is 13 miles from baggage at Airport to front door of the resort. If you call the resort, they also provide a shuttle to and from the airport...or as mentioned before, if you take a cab...expext 25 dollars plus whatever you tip. In the back of the hotel is a tiki bar, plus they serve breakfast and lunch on the beach daily(well really the pavillion out back)....all the same. Anyway, outside the boardwalk of the Crowne is a little hut. There you can sign up for anything water related if you are interested(parasailing etc....). When you go over the bridge leading to Singer island, once over you will vere left about 1/4-1/2 mile to the Crowne. If you come over the bridge and to the right(almost directly in front of you, there is the public beach side. However the plaza is a bit run down(and had some hurricane damage), there are souviners stores, as well as a few resteraunts/bars there(If you go to Johnny LongBoats on Saturday night-which is this plaza mall on South side-ask for Amy...best bartender. Tell her Brittney (being my real name)mentioned you go there and she will take care of you. You could attempt to walk from Crowne to this plaza area, but if you catch a buzz, you may want a cabbie back....a few bucks tops...especially if its a hot day. I still recommend calling water taxi number I mentioned earlier and maybe doing the Sunset boat tour or something. You guys would enjoy that, and inexpensive. If you are into clubbing, you will have to go to downtown WPB on Clematis(30 dollar cab ride each way) and you will find a few night clubs. All depends what you are into. As for weather....you never know when it is going to rain in Florida. It usually showers daily, and being right on the coast, the wind pushes the rain more inland....so no worries. Lastly, my favorite place to hang out and eat in that area is actually over the bride back to main land. You would have to take a taxi here....maybe 10 bucks, but its called the Tiki bar.....right on a marina. The have laid back live music, where you can eat, sun, and chill...it is a locals favorite! Ask the Crowne for assistance, and they can get you there....thats what they are there for. Hope this helps.

West Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
840 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: west palm beach and singer island

Also, in regards to previous post, yes, you could possibly look into a rent a car. Being low season, you could get an economy size for almost nothing. There is an 8 dollar a day parking charge at the Crowne, however in the grand scheme of things, may be the cheapest way to get around.

9. Re: west palm beach and singer island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 14:22