We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too cold to swim - first week or two of November?

Delaware
8 posts
Save Topic
Too cold to swim - first week or two of November?

Would it be too cold to swim in the ocean during the first week or two of November (without freezing)? I tried to look at the longterm weather forcast but I did not find much. I know the ocean water temp can may a difference also.

Thanks

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,886 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too cold to swim - first week or two of November?

So far it looks like it might not be too bad in early November. We have not had any cold weather yet this year. We were supposed to get down to the 50's today and it was 80. The evenings are starting to be cooler. There are a lot of people still swimming in the ocean now. As long as we don't get a really good cold front that stays a few days you should be ok.

Maine
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Too cold to swim - first week or two of November?

We vacation every year near Deerfield Beach, a short ways from West Palm, the first two weeks in November. Have no fear...the water is wonderful. Of course we live in Maine where the ocean temp. never gets out of the 50's! Usually the water temp is upper 70's, low 80's.

West Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
840 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too cold to swim - first week or two of November?

I was in the water yesterday and it was refreshingly fabulous! Also, correct to the other person who responded, as long as we do not get a Florida cold front(50-65) that last for a few days, the water will be fine from a Floridian's standard.

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
100 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too cold to swim - first week or two of November?

The ocean stays warm for quite a while as winter moves in; conversely, it takes a while to warm up again in the spring. I just went diving 2 weeks ago and the temp at 80 feet depth was still over 80 degrees! If you go swimming in a pool, on the other hand, that will be cold already if not heated.

Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too cold to swim - first week or two of November?

as to swimming, will it be too cold to swim in the ocean in late jan??

West Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
840 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too cold to swim - first week or two of November?

We have had a very mild winter. In fact almost record breaking heat in December. Honestly, I think this water is a bit chilly(but I love it in July). You will probably be okay with it. I have noticed a lot of the tourists in the water. We just haven't had that many cold snaps to cool it down a whole lot. The best way to describe it would be refreshing!

7. Re: Too cold to swim - first week or two of November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about West Palm Beach