We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying into Timeshare at Weston

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
172 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Buying into Timeshare at Weston

Can someone please help me with this. A good friend of mine recently bought into a timeshare at Weston.The big selling point was that it boasted the only 18 hole golf course in the Weston area. I believe at the Benaventure Club. Since this resort is not on a beach this was the activity they said would draw people to want to trade timeshares. I know little about timeshares but I believe this is how it went. The timeshare itself looks very nice but my friend is more interested in being able to trade and is a little concerned. Anyone able to give any information we would be GREATLY appreciative!

Mentioned in this post
Weston
Weston
Broward County, FL
Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying into Timeshare at Weston

She should check out TUG2.net; when buying a timeshare one of the most important things is: would you like to go there every single year if you didn't trade?

Every timeshare has a selling point. My husband and I bought one on a beach, years ago, because we are sun worshippers! People that ski buy at ski resorts. Many people buy near Disney because that's where they like to go.

But if your sole reason for buying is to trade you have to find which units trade better. Not everyone has the same opinions so you have to look at statistics. The hardest places to get into seem to be Key West and the Gulf Coast in Florida and Hawaii, overall. By the way, Disney is over-built and is one of the first places the vacation counselors will offer you if you want to go to Florida.

You have to take into consideration the annual maintenance fees. I'd love to have a condo in Hawaii but the maintenance fees are quite high and I'm sure I couldn't afford the airfare every year.

Points are another way to trade (exchange) that seems a little more fair. You can learn much more about it on boards that are dedicated to timesharing.

I'm not saying that timesharing is a bad thing. It is an investment in vacationing but you must learn the rules. I feel that for the annual maintenance fee I pay I get a lot for my money. But it takes some planning and is not as flexible as renting a hotel. But generally the accomodations are much, much nicer than a hotel. It's a learning process.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying into Timeshare at Weston

Thank you Zeebo for the information. I think my friend did get into this more for the trading than for the actual resort itself. I hope everything will work out. Thanks Again!!!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying into Timeshare at Weston

In fifteen years I have traded mine 12 times and went there three times. All happy occaisions! The most important thing she can do is "deposit" her week as soon as she pays the yearly maintenance fees. Early depositers have a better chance of getting a good trade. Many times I have paid the yearly maintenance fee before it was even billed just so I could deposit early. What I do is look at last years bill and add about 10%.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying into Timeshare at Weston

justme, there is also a Timeshare/Vacation Rentals forum on TripAdvisor that you can check out.

I toured Vacation Village at Bonaventure, and also Vacation Village at Weston (it was part of the same presentation) several years ago. Interesting, and overall, not a bad experience (unless a just over 3 hour presentation is considered a bad experience). But we didn't buy. I kinda considered maybe doing a trade (I could trade for VV Bonaventure, but not for VV Weston). Strangely enough, I preferred VV Bonaventure, even though VV Weston was clearly the more premier property. But though I have no horror stories from the Disney area timeshare we have, I have grown cynical about the viability of timeshares; I just don't see them as a good investment ultimately; pay as you go works better. Or at least they're not a good investment if you buy retail; if you buy a secondhand one, you can get good deals.

Personally, if I was going to buy a timeshare in South Florida for the purposes of trading, I would not even consider VV Weston, because its not on the beach, nor even close. A nice beachfront property would IMO get better trade value. Timeshare salespeople will tell you that you can go all these places with your timeshare through trade, but they may not tell you that these are based on availability, and its not ultimately first come first serve, but nicer properties get to "cut in line" when making trades; the exchange companies try to make trades for equal value as much as possible.

Also, I hate to say it, but among timeshares in South Florida that are not near the beach, but the main attraction is golf, VV at Weston would not be the best place. That honor would probably go to Marriott's Villas at Doral in Miami, as they have a world class spa and a course (the Blue Monster) which hosts the CA Championship, which Tiger Woods won last year (he's won 3 straight years at tournaments at Doral; last year was the first time the CA was held there). Although admittedly I would expect the golf to be a bit more expensive at Doral.

I was told at my presentation that one of the main types of people that Timeshare presentation was marketing to was to people who might cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and stay in the Ft. Lauderdale area before or after the cruse.

Mentioned in this post
Marriott's Villas at Doral
Marriott's Villas at...
692 Reviews
Miami, FL
Vacation Village at Weston
Vacation Village at...
1,165 Reviews
Weston, FL
Bonaventure Resort & Spa
Bonaventure Resort & Spa
1,346 Reviews
Weston, FL
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Vacation Village at...
495 Reviews
Weston, FL
South Beach
South Beach
17,107 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Weston
Weston
Broward County, FL
Doral
Doral
Florida
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying into Timeshare at Weston

EddieK,

Thank you so much for all the information. I will look into the vacation/timeshare also on trip advisor. I did not know there was one.

Thanks!!!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying into Timeshare at Weston

I hate to say it, but the timeshare boards on this site don't move as quickly as TUG2.net. Also, most people, if not all, on TUG are experienced owners.

As far as what the other poster said about trading and "nicer properties cutting in line" there is a formula for how a timeshare trades. "Nice" is a relative term and most owners think their timeshare is "nice". It is based on previous exchangers comments, size & configuration of the unit you are exchanging, demand for exchanges in your general area, and how far in advance you placed your property into the "exchange pool." It also depends on who manages your resort. If you own at a Marriot and a Marriot is deposited into the exchange pool a Marriot owner will have first dibs before another management based property.

So it's a little complicated but if you learn how to play the game it can be very rewarding. It is easier to rent, I'll give you that! But in the long run speaking for myself I wouldn't take as many vacations or my vacations would be in motel-style accomodations instead of newer, better appointed condos.

7. Re: Buying into Timeshare at Weston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Weston