We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thagnak or Dzongla, which one?

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Thagnak or Dzongla, which one?

We will be a team of 6 members. And we have 2 options our my hand, will you please suggest me which one would be better, which one we should follow.

Option 1. If I start from Gokyo, then go to Thagnak, cross the Cho La pass, go to Dzongla, and stay there at night.

Option 2. If I start from Thagnak, cross the Cho La pass, go to Dzong La, and go Dughla, stay there at night.

5 replies to this topic
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thagnak or Dzongla, which one?

Hi Again,

I would definitely vote for option two but you won't need to go to Dughla. You can go to Lobuche if you feel well [in the case you are heading to Everest Base Camp]. If you go to Dughla then you will again need to walk uphill next day to go to Lobuche or Gorakshep.

Look at the map: …umbra.cz/img/map/Khumbu_Sagarmatha_National…

Good Luck!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,392 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thagnak or Dzongla, which one?

You don't need to decide this sort of things in advance. You hike; if you want to stop for the night, you stop; if you want to continue further, you do.

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thagnak or Dzongla, which one?

If it were me, I would aim to stay at Tagnag, and then cross Cho La from there - but as PW says, don't stick too rigidly to a plan - always see how it goes - how you feel when you are there, what the weather is like etc.

As previous posts, I have done Tagnag - Cho La - Dzongla for lunch then onto Lobuche in one day (22 Nov 2005).

The other 2 times I crossed Cho La, which were on 17 Jan 2010 and 31 Dec 2010, I did: Lobuche - Dzongla (tea and a snack) - Cho La then Tagnag in one day. On 17 Jan 2010 Tagnag appeared to be closed - so my guide and I carried on to Gokyo - we got there just as it was starting to get dark - we found out the following year that one lodge at Tagnag WAS open - the owners had gone to another village for the afternoon, and came back later that day, so we could have stayed in T both times.

I was 43 in 2005 and carrying about 14-17 kilos each crossing, so it is doable. Dzongla is a bit of a dump, which is why I have never stayed the night there.

Do let us know how your trek goes - as I said in previous posts, you seem to have the "right" spirit and approach, if that makes sense.

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thagnak or Dzongla, which one?

rdccomments, I dont know some how I liked all your replies, from the very beginning. You always reply in a way that I want to hear. Thanks a LOT. I will start from Thagnak, and will fo till Lobuche if my body seems fine. Or I might stop ai Dughla. thanks a lot for you helpful replies.

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thagnak or Dzongla, which one?

Sakib - thanks - hope all goes well.

Reply to: Thagnak or Dzongla, which one?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Eastern Region