We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charikot-Kathmandu Super Express Bus

Quebec City, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Charikot-Kathmandu Super Express Bus

Beware of so-called Express Bus in Nepal. They will charge you extra money and you may not get the service you paid for. On last Thursday we took the 2:00 PM Araniko Yatayat bus in Charikot. It reached Kathmandu 2 hours later than expected. Finally it was not a direct bus or express bus since it made many many stops and picked up people along the way. My travel companion got really upset since he was late at his evening meeting in Kathmandu. And don't expect to be refunded... This is Nepal. I am writing those lines especially for people who would need to reach Kathmandu on time, e.g. to catch a flight. Be mindful an express bus might not be an express...

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
371 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charikot-Kathmandu Super Express Bus

Hi,

Sorry for the situation you found youselves in. Indeed in Nepal Express Buses aren't express, however one shouldn't plan a such a tight schedule while travelling in nepal. There r so many things that can cause a delay be it a air travel or land travel. So anyone coming to Nepal please always be mentally be prepared for a bit longer time than the schedule demands n enjoy your holiday.

Uttam Sapkota

Annapurna Excursion

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Charikot-Kathmandu Super Express Bus

Never taken that route on the way back so I don't have any returning experience but when we went from Kathmandu they stop for while but not for such a long.

Yes most of the buses they do it but and if you have limit time take always the optional or somewhat reliable one such as micro vans or Jeeps.

Have a good day

Bhuwan

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charikot-Kathmandu Super Express Bus

Welcome to TripAdvisor and the Nepal forum.

I see this is your first post as a Tripadvisor member, and I wish you had posted in here before your trip to Nepal. It might have saved you the frustrating experience.

Travelling in Nepal is different that travelling in many other places and it is not uncommon to experience busrides like the one you have described. One of the advice often given here is to never travel with a tight schedule...you never know what will happen and a 2 hour delay is actually not very much.

You have to consider, that in Nepal all fuel are transported in by road and it is very expenssive. It would be absolutely waist of fuel to drive a bus with emty seats in a remote area and leave locals standing by the road waiting for transport.

Quebec City, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Charikot-Kathmandu Super Express Bus

Believe me there were no empty seats. It was overcrowded! Thank you very much for your post.

Quebec City, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Charikot-Kathmandu Super Express Bus

Thank you very much for your suggestion Bhuwan. Time is money... So 100 extra NPR is not enough extra money to secure one's time!

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charikot-Kathmandu Super Express Bus

Would you expect 1,15 CAD to be enough to secure your tight schedule in Canada?

And what about the locals needing transport - they also might have things to do and places to go on a certain time? Should they just wait untill the next bus arrived (that might be full too)?

As Bhuwan and Uttam has also stated...be mentally and practical prepared for delays in Nepal or hire a private driver to prevent some of the risks.

The only buses in Nepal I have used, that did not pick up locals on the road is Greenline. All others - also touristbuses - does it more or less. But Greenline only drive Kathmandu, Pokhara and Chitwan (and Lumbini soon?)

Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world and luxury is meassured on af different scale. If you have a seat in the bus it is luxury and if you arrives to your destination with only few hours delay, your are on time. Words like express, direct, on time etc. does simply not have the same meaning as the ones known in western parts of the world.

Once you know it, travelling in Nepal is less complicated and frustrating. And then it often turns in to fun experiences and a chance to get much more in touch with nepalese people and their culture.

Reply to: Charikot-Kathmandu Super Express Bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted