We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I don't want toi climb it - just see it!

Scotland
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
I don't want toi climb it - just see it!

Our 50th's are looming and I've decided (my game!) that we're going to see Mount Everest. I don't want to climb it - just look at it. I'd like to stay in a village/town nearby to enjoy local way of life, the people, food, culture etc. Is this possible or am I way off? thanks

6 replies to this topic
Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I don't want toi climb it - just see it!

Everything is possible :-)

What you cuold do, was giong for a mountain flight from Kathmandu, where you will see not only Everest, but lots of other peaks and surroundings from the plane.

Or if you would do some trekking for a few days, you could fly to Lukla, trek from there to Namche Bazzar to get a good wiev (two days trek and one day to return to Lukla) or continue to Tengboche where you can get a better view from just above the village.

You can stay in the area for some days and enjoy culture and local life.

There are some guesthouses of better quality and some more ordinary.

Does that sound like what you had in mind?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I don't want toi climb it - just see it!

You can go up to Everest view hotel above Syangboche airport {for Everest panorama view} and visit around Khumjung and Khunde for Sherpa cultural and local life.

I think it is another special chose fr local life and culture...

If you want more information leave me private message.

Guide

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I don't want toi climb it - just see it!

It's a flight to Lukhla (and if you sit on the left of the plane you'll get a good view of Everest), and then half-day trek along the valley to Phakding. The following day another 2 hours easy trek brings you to the foot of the 2 hour ascent to Namche.

I agree with #2 - Khumjung and Khunde are less affected by tourism than Namche is, so after a night in Namche it's worth going on, either to Khumjung (perhaps via the National Park HQ and Sanasa) to Khumjung - there's a good museum of Sherpa life close to the National Park HQ above Namche. Perhaps it's worth going on to Tengboche Monastery, a further day onwards, before heading back down.

Edited: 22 June 2012, 10:37
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I don't want toi climb it - just see it!

Have you heard about Everest Mountain Flight?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: I don't want toi climb it - just see it!

Hi There it is nice trek you can do that fly to Lukla and start trek about 3 hour slowly and stay in phakding next day trek to Namche that is nice place to se the Mount Everest I have been many time i can organize you in my country in nepal.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I don't want toi climb it - just see it!

There are different ways to experience Everest. Some of them are given below and you could choose from.

Option

1: Everest mountain flight : an hour flight from Kathmandu which take you near the mountain ranges to have the view of Mahalangur Himalayan ranges which includes Everest and Lotse Cho-you and other high mountains.

2: Plan a five day trek including return, which will take you to namche on second day on a third day you can visit Everest view hotel to have view of Everest including Lotse 4th highest mountain and Ama Dablam and few others. A good spot to enjoy the mountain view with cup of tea or coffee.

3: If you lots of time or around 16-17 days then trek to Everest base camp to feel the mountains which will take 14 days trek including flight back to Kathmandu.

All the best

Bhuwan

Reply to: I don't want toi climb it - just see it!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted