We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trek--good view of Everest

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
25 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Trek--good view of Everest

How many days are ideal for a good view/photos of Everest? I've seen photos showing just the tip of Everest above the Nuptse wall and would like to get closer. I'm a senior in good shape and used to the altitude in high Colorado towns (9,000 ft.+). I would be able to hire a guide rather than come on a larger group-tour.

10 replies to this topic
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
398 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trek--good view of Everest

In 4-5 days, you can get to Everest View Lodge and back, where you'll see the tip of Everest -- as in this photo taken when we were there 2 years ago: coxklosek.com/Photos/…NPL_1586_large.html

But to get to Kala Patthar to see it somewhat better, the round trip is about 14 days -- and then you get a view like this (taken this January through my wife's telephoto lens): coxklosek.com/Photos/Nepal1314/Himalaya/cont…

As for altitude, you can never tell. My sister lives at 7,000+ feet in Colorado (and used to live at 9,000 feet), and she still got altitude sickness in Namche. You have to take it gradually -- that's where the 14 days comes from -- 9-10 days in, 3-4 days out.

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trek--good view of Everest

Good info is already posted.

I will only add, that if you book at a international agency, you are likely to go in a group and pay a sky high price as well. The International agencies are - due to Nepal laws - subcontracting with Nepal based agencies, so you end up with a local agency (but might have an extra guide from your own country).

If you book directly at a Nepal based agency, you will get your own guide and porter. And you will get a more authentic and better expereience at a much lower price. It will also make you able to set your own pace during the day - you wont have to wait for anyone and no one have to wait for you - and the risk of AMS is lower this way, if you listen to your body.

If you want a recommendation about the agency I use, you are welcome to send me a PM and I will return the information to you. I just don't share the info here in the forum, since it can be mistaken as advertising.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trek--good view of Everest

The view of Everest will indeed not change until you are on Kala Pattar, from where it's fantastic, and only a handful of miles away.

I trekked it a few years ago as a none-too-fit 65 year old smoker, and had no great problem (other than being beaten to the summit by a 69 year old with 2 artificial knees . . . .). Details of our itinerary can be found at

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c152405/Nepal…

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
25 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trek--good view of Everest

Thanks--Kala Patthar looks like the spot I'm looking for. I appreciate the photos.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
25 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trek--good view of Everest

Lisbeth--Thank you for the heads-up on Nepalese agencies. I'll try to contact you when plans get more concrete.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
25 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trek--good view of Everest

Alan--I'm heartened by your sharing of your physical accomplishment. Maybe I can make it.

Thanks all.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trek--good view of Everest

Hello,

Lots of amazing responses from regular visitors of Nepal!

OK, small tip for you. I also do some photography as it's my passion as well. If you want better views of Everest than Kalapatthar is not an idea. You can head to Pumori Base Camp side for better pictures.

Do not travel with tight schedule but I would recommend you to add some extra days around Gorakshep, Kalapatthar and Everest Base Camp area only for taking pictures.

Make your return ticket to Kathmandu on open status, that means you can confirm the dates by visiting airlines office once you return back to Lukla.

Good Luck!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trek--good view of Everest

In Nepal (but not in Tibet) most of Everest is ALWAYS hidden by other mountains. There is NO place where you see the whole mountain, you only see the top.

Arguably the best view is from further away, Gokyo Ri or Renjo La.

Espoo
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trek--good view of Everest

The view from Kala Pattar, or more presicely from Pumori ridge a bit higher than KP proper, is much more close-up than the view you get from Gokyo RI for example.

Distance from "Kala Pattar" to Everest summit: 9.66 km

Distance from Gokyo Ri to Everest summit: 23.94 km

There certainly are more peaks and awesome panorama from Gokyo Ri, but Everest is three times bigger from KP.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
25 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trek--good view of Everest

Thanks for the ideas on photos and for the tip on an open ticket.

Reply to: Trek--good view of Everest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted