We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Restaurants....

Which Blue Ridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Restaurants....

I am bringing a friend for a day of shopping next month. I have

eaten several times at the tea room and once at Serendipity.

Serendipity had great chicken salad, as I remember.

The tea room was good the first few times I ate there and then the

last time, which has been over a year ago, it wasn't the same.

We ordered the daily special and 45 min. later we were still waiting

to be served. I recently looked online at their menu and it seems

to have changed. Is it under new ownership/management?

I would like you experts and locals to tell me what you recommend

for downtown. I know we will be shopping most of the day and

will want to eat downtown.

Thanks to you all for suggestions.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
1,166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Restaurants....

we enjoy blue jeans pasta downtown. once you get past the malt shop and the others you mentioned there isn't much down there really. perhaps indiago on east first street will fill the bill. it's a slow town monday thru wednesday though and some may be closed. for a great burger you can visit sue's best burger in town. the food is very good, but he ambiance may set you back some. out of town the toccoa riverside restaurant is always good, but it is aways out ther. enjoy your trip! also you might try angelina's , also on east first street, has an awesome deli!!!!!

NSB FL & BR GA
Level Contributor
127 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Restaurants....

BBQman is right. There are not a tremendous number of choices within walking distance of shopping. Blue Jeans would be great and they have wonderful pizza, pasta, calzones, etc. Also, Great Eats Deli is pretty good. I stopped in while shopping myself one day and had the lunch special of quiche and a salad. Serivce was fast and it was a nice, light lunch. There is a wonderful ice cream place a few doors down for dessert.

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Restaurants....

bbqman &flgatorgirl (go Dawgs!),

Thank you very much for the ideas. Correction on my above--

should have been 'Serenity Garden Cafe' not 'Serendipity'.

I'm sure we'll find a good spot and enjoy the day looking at all

the antiques & unique shops. Makes a great break from all the

big malls which are now pretty much all the same.

I would like to try Southern Highlands for seafood sometime.

It sounds great! We're big fans of Jolly Roger in Ellijay.

blue ridge, georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Restaurants....

Downtown lunch choice would be Serenity Gardens. You can't bet there homemade chicken salad and homemade soups. Great choice for lunch.

October brings alot of shoppers to Blue Ridge park close to Serenity it is a center point of shops and if you are shopping and would like to store your purchases in your car, thats where you would want to be.

Hope you have fun shopping and dining in Blue Ridge, check out all the happenings in the month of November.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
1,166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Restaurants....

angelia's sandwich shop on east first street is good for carry out cold cuts and great sandwiches with fine italian wines and cheeses, and mountainous deserts. it's practically across the street from indigo whcih also has about every gormet side dish or desert to take back to your cabin you'd ever want. tehre is great food in blue ridge you just have to look for it a bit. i hope you enjoy! while i am here i should remind all now that it is getting cooler the most fun you will have is at the swan drive in movie, which features first run films and awesome chili dog along with a 60 year old pop corn making machine which makes about as good a bag of pop corn as you'll ever eat. bring your blankets and sit out on the grass and enjoy the movie! great fun in blue ridge after dark!

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Restaurants....

blridge gal & bbqman,

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have a feeling that once

in Blue Ridge, I won't go hungry!

What are the special events in November? I don't want to miss

out on anything!!

And yes, I do remember about how crowded downtown gets and

the need to find a good parking place. Once I was stuck down

around the Victorian Tea Room, which isn't terrible, but still not

close if you're carrying packages (and I hope to find lots of goodies!).

Besides Ellijay, do you know of any other 'nearby' towns that offer

lots of cute shops similar to Blue Ridge? I am always looking out

for some other neat places to go.

Thanks to you both again.

Blue Ridge, GA
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Restaurants....

You can always head north to Murphy, NC.

Covington, Georgia
Level Contributor
424 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Restaurants....

Idlb,

You can also check out Blairsville,Youngharris and Hiawassee.They are all a straight shot from Blue Ridge,so you can't get lost.There are also little places along your journey that you might want to check out so keep your eyes open.Blairsville and Youngharris really don't have much but Hiawassee has more to offer.

To get from Blue Ridge to Hiawassee should take you no more than 40 minutes depending on fast you drive.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
1,166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown Restaurants....

in mccaysville, a short distance, maybe 6 miles from the blue ridge mcdonalds is a place called goodfellows that i highly reccommend. we've only been there for breakfast so far, and were smitten. excellent service, fantastic menu offerings, and just a big full great big country breakfast. fresh fruit, light pancakes, eggs cooked every way possible and pleasant company all the way around. you'll like it i promise! the lunch and supper menus look even better too!

NSB FL & BR GA
Level Contributor
127 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown Restaurants....

Idlb--

I think you will find that in the nearbry towns, Blue Ridge and Elijay have the most shops located in a central, pedestrian friendly area. Murphy has just a few shops and some cafes downtown. The best attraction would be Moose Hollow (great store) and Shoe Booties Cafe. Other than that, a few random shops downtown--nothing great. Hiawassee and Blairsville both have some interesting shops, but they are spread out around town, not so much in a walkable downtown type area.

A few other places to consider---Dahlonega is maybe an hour away and has a cute square downtown with some nice shops, a local craft/artist center and some good restaurants. I believe they also have a gold mining museum if that is of interest. The drive over is pretty and you could plan your route to pass Amicalola Falls if you want to check it out.

If you are really up for an all day adventure, I totally recommend Highlands, NC. If you drove straight there, it is probably an hour and a half to and hour and 45 on some fairly twisting roads. The drive however, is very pretty and there are many places to stop along the way. We normally stop in beautiful Lake Burton at Timpson Creek Gallery---amazing true adirondack style, some vintage stuff, a gallery out back and some cute clothing, shoes and jewelry. It is pricey, but totally worth the stop. There are shops as you head through downtown Clayton, but I am not familiar with them. We pass through Clayton and have lunch at the famous Dillard House in Dillard, GA. Everything is family style, fresh, authentic southern cuisine and delicious. Just up the street from Dillard House are a number of large antique malls that you could spend the whole afternoon in. After you leave Dillard, it is about another 30 minutes to Highlands. Once again, very pretty country. There is a gallery on the right side of the road (very cool building with lots of boulders) just before you get into town. Make sure to stop, they have very unique items. Highlands is a very quaint and beautiful town and the shops have a much larger variety of items that cannot be found in Blue Ridge. It is more of a mountain resort area, so they don't have as many stores with cabin items. You could definitely spend the afternoon shopping and I am sure you would enjoy the selection. Stop in to the courtyard area of Old Edwards Inn and Spa even if it is just for an iced tea, you will not be disappointed. The historic architecture and atmosphere feels like a lovely village in Europe.

Highlands is pretty easy to get to, we found it by following signs. Let me know if you want more info. Hope you have a great trip!