We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Columbus Naval Museum

Evanston, IL
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Port Columbus Naval Museum

Can anybody tell me about this place? Someone in an earlier post mentioned it so I tried to access it but cannot get into their website. I did find it on a tourist site for Columbus and it gives their hours but not a lot about it (just refers one to the website), What us there, how long should one plan to spend there? Is there an admission charge? Etc.

Thanks.

Ellijay
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Columbus Naval Museum

I am going to be a little prejudiced as I am a Civil War Reenactor and spend a good bit of time at Port Columbus or the National Civil War Naval Museum. If you are any bit interested in the war of northern aggression or in early US naval histories, then this is a must visit. Not sure why you can't get into the website, it is www.portcolumbus.org

There is much to see and there are many weekends throughout the year when reenactors are portraying much of the duties of civil war navies.

I would give myself at least 3 hours to fully enjoy the museum and what it offers. Be sure to visit the gift shop as it is not a run-of-mill type shop.

Admission is adults-$6.50, Seniors-$5.50 and students-$5.00.

There are 6 ships or ironclads represented plus a flag exhibit plus many more special exhibits. Many original artifacts and uniforms plus weapons are also on display.

If you are there at the right time you may even get to help fire an original 7" Brook rifle. This cannon weighs over 12,000 pounds and is fired with a 5 pound powder charge and let me tell you about the echo it sends down the Chattahoochee River!

Ellijay
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Columbus Naval Museum

I forgot to tell you that you may want to also visit the new infantry museum at Fort Benning. I have not had a chance to visit since they moved to the new location but have heard many great things to make me want to.

Welcome to Georgia and have fun.

Evanston, IL
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Columbus Naval Museum

Thanks so much. Interestingly, today I was able to access the website after all, but your insight is a huge help.

4. Re: Port Columbus Naval Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 08:46
Get answers to your questions about Columbus