We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Genealogy Road trip

Which Dalton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Evanston
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Genealogy Road trip

My college age daughter, hubby and I are planning a genealogy road trip leaving Evanston IL during the beginning of the memorial day week-end ultimately travelling on a budget and trying to visit Dalton, Rome, Cave Springs as well as Atlanta and Ft Valley to see a friend. We are hoping to start the drive that Friday from Illinois and arrive that Sat am. We want to spend at least a full week visiting local archives, libraries. Can any one advise us of other activities during our non genealogy research time. We love history and southern food-well it's the ancestors! We will probably visit another family member outside of Atlanta during Memorial Day.

Is this too ambitious distance wise? Please advise on suitable and reasonable lodging for these budget minded historians.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 04:47
5 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,760 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Genealogy Road trip

The Georgia Archives is located just south of Atlanta off I 75- here is a link to their website-

http://sos.georgia.gov/archives/

Dalton, Rome and Cave Springs are easy to access off I 75. You will find lots of hotels in Dalton and Rome- just check out reviews on TA.

In terms of libraries and local archives then you might do a google search for local museums in each town.

I am sure your friend will have suggestions for local southern food in Fort Valley. On your way down I 75 there is a good restaurant at the Jackson exit ( south of Atlanta and north of Macon ) called Buckner's- very good food.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,345 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Genealogy Road trip

If you are going to Fort Valley, you may want to eat at the Mennonite restaurant in Montezuma - tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35123-d13…

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Genealogy Road trip

You might want to post this in the "road trips forum", as you may get better answers as to what to do in between your home and GA; just click on "forums tab" just above where it says "ask a question", then click "all forums", and you will see it in alpha order. I would suggest doing your research on your family first, as that might steer you to places you might want to see (old home place, church, work) if still in existence. Try Buckners restaurant for all you can eat southern (I think $13-15/pp- but good), between Atlanta and Macon at the intersection of I-75 and Hwy 36. Also stop at Lane's Orchards in Fort Valley to get a load of pecans, onions, fruit, jams, and jellies (they have a restaurant on-site that is pretty good, but draws lots of busses). In Atlanta, Mary Macs Tea Room is one of the best for true southern food (fried).

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
1,151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Genealogy Road trip

the crown gardens and archives may be of some help. located in dalton on chattanooga ave it is home to the local historical society. good luck!

Evanston
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Genealogy Road trip

Thanks to you all for such great ideas and advice. We are so thrilled to finally put good armchair research to the ultimate test and look at actual documents and hopefully answer a few of our questions. Genealogy is so much fun and like a good detective or mystery even better to puzzle out. I can't wait to try out the archives and of course taste our way through Dalton, Rome and Atlanta. We should really have a blast!! Thanks my only regret is we have only a week and that the holiday may compromise some of our touring public sites Oh well!! Its almost summer!

Reply to: Genealogy Road trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dalton