We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please promise me you will never, ever eat at............

North GA
Level Contributor
476 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Please promise me you will never, ever eat at............

.........Noruta Japanese Steakhouse. It is not listed in the restaurants but I feel I must warn people so here I go:

Not many places open on Christmas but we called around and found this one. Mistake #1! We arrived and the place was dark. We entered...(#2) and a worker turned on the light. It was freezing cold inside and no one else was there. HMMMM...what does THAT tell you on a night with very limited choices?!??! We stayed ( #3) and were seated at a small Habachi table that looked like it had seen better days. After waiting a bit, another worker ran in the door ( maybe they called him from somewhere?) and took our drink order....water. As their dinner prices were in place and in no way matched what I had seen so far, I took a chance and asked the guy if we could have lunch prices as we were their only customers and the dinner prices seemed high. Maybe that was cheap of me but I was trying to find one positive about this place. NOPE! NO compromise. I later pointed out to my children that there was no logic in that....either we ordered more at lower prices and they ended up with more money or less from the higher priced menu. We forged ahead ( #4)

After placing our orders, we waited a bit. A chef came to the table and asked if we were okay with them cooking everything in the back. ( #5) EXCUSE ME?!?!?!? Why did he think we were there? He argued about doing it at the table even after I pointed out that was why we came and he had NO other customers . He very smugly told me he would be cooking it in the back. I decided at that point we would leave ( good decision #1!) and he appeared to be fine with that. It was dimly lit as we walked to the front door and I am feeling some back pain from almost falling down a step down area I did not see. Still, freedom was sweet! We drove across to Oriental Garden ( a favorite where we should have gone all along) Good decision #2 and had a great meal with great service even though it was packed. I had ordered a Restaurant.com coupon for Noruta and will gladly forfeit the $3 it cost not to eat there. Good decision #3:-) And good decision #4, I am sharing this as I do not want any visitors to our awesome town to experience what I did tonight!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please promise me you will never, ever eat at............

thanks for the tip. mrs bbq has been trying to get me in there as she had ejoyed her meal earlier, but i think it had been a lunch.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
380 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please promise me you will never, ever eat at............

Thanks for the warning!

If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck......

North GA
Level Contributor
476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please promise me you will never, ever eat at............

Quack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atlanta,GA
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please promise me you will never, ever eat at............

Ur right horrible place! They asked us if they could cook it in the kitchen!No way! We came to see it cooked at our table not in the kitchen1 Very dispointed!

5. Re: Please promise me you will never, ever eat at............

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2009, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Gainesville