We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything New in Helen ?

Which Helen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta Ga
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Anything New in Helen ?

My husband and I go up to Helen about 3 times a year for a little relaxation and decompression. It's only about a 2 hour drive, but it's just enough to make us feel like we went away.

The one thing that I can never understand about that town is that nothing much seems to change. They certainly get their share of tourists, but the merchandise in the stores never changes and most restaurants have the same old menus. I would bet a ton of money that the same old band is playing at Paul's Steak House.

My husband and I were so happy when Big Daddy's opened and we were thrilled when someone turned us on the Edelweiss restaurant.

Anything new in town since September ?

Is there anything new in Helen since September ?

Covington, Georgia
Level Contributor
424 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything New in Helen ?

I always make a trip to Helen on my way to Blue Ridge.If it wasn't for Betty's grocery store,I would probably not even ride into town.I have been doing this for years because just walking around in the store gets me in a great mood for a great vacation in the mountains.I've been burned out on the stores for a long time but every once in a while if the weather is nice we like to walk around town.

Atlanta Ga
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything New in Helen ?

OH Cabin ...I know what you mean about Betty's. Long ago I stopped taking the time to fill a cooler and pack the car with groceries when we are staying at a cabin. Just walking into Betty's makes me happy. Normally you would have to threaten my husband with death to get him into a Kroger or Publix on vacation, but he loves the steaks at Betty's butcher there in the back of the store. We have bbq'd many a Great steak from there. The new liquor store right behind Betty's is a little high in price, but they do have a great selection of wine and beers.

What a shame the other establishments in town dont inspire frequent visitors.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything New in Helen ?

Penny,

Not new since September, but have you tried http://www.nacoocheegrill.com/? The Cornmeal Dusted Trout is great. We also wish Helen would add something new. We own a VR there and would like to have more bookings.

Funny that Betty's and Big Daddy's are the only places that seem to consistently perform. Try the Orange Cranberry bread the next time you go to Betty's.

Jody

4. Re: Anything New in Helen ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 23:19