We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any safety issues in Helen?

Which Helen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Any safety issues in Helen?

My family is considering a trip to Helen, Ga. We are a bi-racial family and were wondering if that would be a concern in a smaller town in the south.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any safety issues in Helen?

I don't believe there will be a problem, but no personal experience. Lots of visitors from Atlanta and other places there.

Covington, Georgia
Level Contributor
424 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any safety issues in Helen?

I doubt you will have any problems but I'm sure you will get some looks.Just relax and don't worry what others think of your situation.If you're going to worry,what's the sense in even coming?Racism is everywhere,that's just a fact of life.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any safety issues in Helen?

I think Helen is not a typical small Southern town. It is more a tourist destination, so I think no problems, probably few looks.

That said, I am not a minority so I probably would not notice much anyway.

I will say I think more people will be open and welcoming in GA than not. At least I hope so.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,343 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any safety issues in Helen?

Helen is a tourist town and I don't think you will have any problems. Enjoy your trip.

Ellijay
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any safety issues in Helen?

Have you never been anywhere in the US? I do not believe that you can go anywhere other than a smaller town in the south and not have that question. Other than New York, Chicago, Atlanta or so forth, don't tell me you are only concerned about your bi-racial family in only a southern town. The only concern you should worry about is what do you think of your bi-racial family? Except for some idiots, which you will find in any town in the US, most folks will just accept you as another family. If you have real concerns, you should have them in Indiana or Idaho as much as any smaller town in the south. Sorry, but as worded, your question is as biased as you want to think a smaller southern town may be. Come have a great time, I just don't think anyone will keep you from having a great time, if I see you there, I'll buy the beer and brats and tell you why I love the south as I do.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any safety issues in Helen?

I see the poster above me is from Ellijay Ga. The KKK had a rally on the courthouse steps there about 2 years ago.

I doubt you will have any problems. There are a lot of tourists in Helen. They don't care what color you are if you have green money. Enjoy your vacation.

Iowa
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any safety issues in Helen?

I appreciate everyone's responses. And to clarify... I have NOTHING against the south. I love it also, which is why we'd really like to vacation there. I have every confidence that Helen will be a great vacation spot, and I'm sure the people will make it even more special. Unfortunately in this day and age you can never be too safe, which is what sparked my question, not any expectations or personal bias towards small towns, the south, and especially small towns in the south. So again thanks for everyone's reply's, and I'm glad to hear that I have no reason to worry.

Ellijay
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any safety issues in Helen?

What in the world does me living in Ellijay and the KKK having a rally have to do with this. That is like me saying "I see you are from Florida and Ted Bundy operated out of there until he was caught." You see, you have proven what the original question is all about. You make a foolish statement trying to show your intelligence without knowing what you should know. I also have a bi-racial family. My son is married to one of the brightest and most intelligent people I know. She is in charge of the computer lab that runs an entire major Southern university. She is witty, charming, cute as a new born kitten and can cook like nobody's business and she is black. You see, I am making comment about the original question concerning the south. I travel with my daughter-in-law all over this country and we have yet to encounter any objections to her being black or us being white. If you come here looking for objections, you will most likely find them, real or envisioned. So, Dpetty, come on to Helen, the food is great and the entertainment is all fun.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any safety issues in Helen?

DPetty

How long are you planning to stay in Helen? To me one or two days there will more than fill your time. Also be aware that October will be crowded due to month long Octoberfest.

There are lots of nice outdoor activities nearby Helen. If you are interested let me know and I will try to help out with things to do in area.

Iowa
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any safety issues in Helen?

We are planning on staying 4 or 5 days, and most likely during the week, not over a weekend. We're looking at renting a cabin. So far I've liked Blue Ridge Cabin Rentals the best. I know we'll go into Helen and do shopping, etc. Also I want to visit the waterfalls nearby. Do you know about how far those are from Helen?

We're looking at November, and hoping the weather wouldn't be unbearably cold to still get out and do things outdoors. We have a toddler too, so we want to try for family activities that wouldn't rule him out.

Any info or advice you have would be more than welcome :) Thanks!