We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

employment, general quality of life

Melbourne Beach
3 posts
Save Topic
employment, general quality of life

I am considering moving to Peachtree city and would like information on employment opportunities in the area. Do most people commute to Atanta for professional jobs? If so does this take over an hour?

I have read good things about the school system and communites, but I have not found anything on employment. My husband is an electrical engineer and I have a background in defense contracting; are there any hopes for employment?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: employment, general quality of life

Hi, Snickers. I grew up in Fayeteville, which is about 10 miles east of Peachtree City and have watched it grow from a tiny place to a thriving community. It has a lot to offer and for many people it is a great place to live. It started as a planned community back in the 1960s and is one of the few that has lived on and thrived.

A bulk of Peachtree City's residents work for the airline industry, largely for Delta Airlines since it is headquartered in Atlanta. They all commute to the airport via I-85. Many others commute to downtown. I work on the edge of Georgia Tech campus (which is near Midtown) and a few of my co-workers commute from the Peachtree City area. I think it can take about 45 minutes to an hour. I would have to ask to know for sure, however.

Peachtree City itself is home to a number of company offices, including TDK and NCR. My late father worked for NCR from the 70s, the reason we moved down to Georgia from Ohio. There are countless others. As far as defense contracting goes, Dobins Air Force Base and Lockheed Martin up in Cobb County are probably the biggest employers along those lines. That's not a commute you'd want to make. Fort McPherson is not that far from Peachtree City but is on the latest list for possible BRAC, along with Fort Gilem over in Forest Park.

I can personally vouch for the school system being very good. The place is very, very family oriented. It is a good place to raise kids. I will tell you that there is some political unreset involving the current and former mayors that has been a cause for concern but not worth enough to stop people from moving in.

Go to www.thecitizennews.com, which has a Peachtree City edition. That might help you find out more about employment opportunities.

Level Contributor
545 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: employment, general quality of life

Peachtree City has a lot of rules for what you can and can't do in your yard. I personally would not reccomend living in PTC you would be better off in the out-skirts of PTC. I have lived here all my life and went to school at McIntosh High in PTC. I can honestly say the nicest people live outside PTC. Fayetteville, Tyrone and even Brooks are better choices.All the schools are great in fayette county. PTC is mostly high-class snobs. By the way, no I don't live in PTC. I live just outside of Tyrone.

You stay classy...
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: employment, general quality of life

They won't let you park your 65 Chevy on the grass.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with having rules about the appearance of your home and yard. Creates value.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Peachtree City, Ga
Level Contributor
64 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: employment, general quality of life

I moved to Peachtree City about 3 years ago, and just came across this forum. I want to respond to the comment made about the city being for "high class snobs". Yes, PTC is an upper class city with over 80 miles of golf carts and surrounding a handful of golf courses, but I certainly don't think that it is worth calling us snobs!

The community is nice and does have rules. Coming from a city that did not, it is nice to drive through my neighborhood and not see overgrown bushes and grass or cars on blocks sitting in the front yard. If this is your style...then maybe you SHOULD live in Tyrone, or Fayetteville where there aren't any rules.

Living in this community gives you a number of positives, and most important of them all, the school system. Yes, you can live other places outside of PTC that are still in the highly acclaimed Fayette county school systems, but where else can you kid drive himself to school on a golf cart. Where else can you take the golf cart for an evening out and watch the sunset over the golf course. The neighborhoods have pools, and yes it is very family oriented.

On another note, there are a number of neighborhoods in PTC that range from $150,000 to over the millions, it just depends on which part of PTC you choose.

5. Re: employment, general quality of life

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Peachtree City