We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

st simons / what is a good place to stay with kids and a dog

Which Saint Simons Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
2 posts
Save Topic
st simons / what is a good place to stay with kids and a dog

We are planning to visit St. Simons next week. Looking for a place to stay with kids and dog (50lbs lab). Does anyone know a good place (house for rent or simialr type) that is near the beach?

thanks

GA
Level Contributor
557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: st simons / what is a good place to stay with kids and a dog

Don'tg know of any hotels there because I stay at Jerkl Island.You might want to \stay at Jerkell because you can go swimming at the beach at Jerkll Island and not at ST Simons

atlanta
Level Contributor
579 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: st simons / what is a good place to stay with kids and a dog

I can't think of any ocean front hotels other than the king and prince. Try looking on www.vrbo.com to rent a condo or a house. There will be more space.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
1,151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: st simons / what is a good place to stay with kids and a dog

not sure what this is about not being able to swim at the beach at st simons island, but you definitely can swim at the beach there. if fact i'd have to think the beach was far superior there than the one at jekyl. the beach club at st simons is wonderful. not sure about a 50 lb. lab staying there though, but good luck!

GA
Level Contributor
557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: st simons / what is a good place to stay with kids and a dog

I was at ST Sinmion 2 yrs agao and there were signs posted no swimming and there were not person in the water swimming.St Siimions is also more crowded than Jerkll

St. Simons
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: st simons / what is a good place to stay with kids and a dog

There was an ecoli problem along the Ga. coast three years ago in May. It affected SSI, Jekyll and Tybee. Problem was temporary and there has not been an recurrence. You can definitely swim at SSI now. There is not a lot of wave action, but it is calm and excellent for kids. Most of the ocean front condos and K&P do not allow dogs so your best bet probably is a house on the beach. Check with either ResortQuest or Hodnett Cooper. Both have many beach house rentals.

Our dog loves the beach at SSI. Good luck!

Atlanta, GA
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: st simons / what is a good place to stay with kids and a dog

is oceans six a good place to stay?

albany, georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: st simons / what is a good place to stay with kids and a dog

We've been staying at the King and Prince for years. I don't think you could take the dog unless you possibly rented a condo from an individual as opposed to the hotel management. I think the comment about no swimming at the beach may also have to do with the fact that when the tide is in the beach at the K&P disappears. Also, at different times of the year the jellyfish are bad. Other than that its great swimming. Wave are usually fairly gentle and the water is pretty still when the tide is out which makes it good for smaller kids. There is lots to do at the K&P - outside grill, fluffy drinks poolside, indoor pool w/hot tub, but again, your problem will be the dog. St. Simons is very crowded but still fun. Renting a house means a haul to the beach unless you get one right on it. Public beach access is limited, so bear that in mind.

8. Re: st simons / what is a good place to stay with kids and a dog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 14:27
Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island