We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Simon's or Jekyll

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
St. Simon's or Jekyll

My husband and I are going to Spring Training (Jupiter, FL) next March. We're going to come home via the eastern Florida coast up to the Georgia sea islands, where we'll spend a couple of days before heading back home to Illinois. We've never been and are curious which island would be best for us. We're in our mid 50's, love walking along the beach, love fresh seafood, want a few modern amenities but not too much commercialization.

Any advice on the islands, the differences between them, etc. would be appreciated.

And advice on lodging would be appreciated, too. Since there's just the two of us and since we're just going to stay a couple of nights, we're assuming that a hotel/motel/inn would be our best bet. We are retired, so we need to stay within a budget for this trip; if that means we can't stay oceanfront, that's fine.

Thanks!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Simon's or Jekyll

we love staying at the beach club on st simmons. plus st simmonns has much more to eat, see and do thatn jeckyl in my opinion. but they are so close make your own decison, jeckyl is stuck in the 1950's early 1960's while st simmons has embraced the new century. same beach, same ocean, but better at st simoons we feel. enjoy your visit!

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Simon's or Jekyll

The ONLY place to stay on Jekyll is the Beach Cub and it is very expensive and isolated. Serious lack of choices for dining. Do not get lured into staying anywhere else on that island...you will be disappointed.

St Simons is close by, has many more options and there is much more to do. I like The Village Inn or The Hampton Inn. Village Inn is more like a B&B, lots of character and in walking distance to the village. The Hampton is further inland but relatively new and nice. I highly recommend renting bikes to get almost everywhere! The beaches, people and restaurants are great!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,992 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Simon's or Jekyll

I agree that you will find more to do and see in St. Simons Island. You will enjoy your stay. We were just there last weekend.

Atlanta
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Simon's or Jekyll

Jekyll Island may have cheaper lodging. I've stayed at Jekyll Oceanfront, A Clarion Resort. That's the only place I can recommend. It's nice...IF you request an upgraded room only. When I was there they'd only finished updating about half of their units. The updated units were VERY nice.

More to do on St. Simons. Jekyll is a more slower paced relaxing spot. I think it good for couples. If the lodging on Jekyll is more reasonable, St. Simons is a very short drive away!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Simon's or Jekyll

the beach club we have visited is on st simons island. not jekyl. i agree that there is much more in the way of restaurants on st simons, but the two islands are so close either would afford access to plenty of fresh seafood. the freshest we have found is across the causeway at the shrimp boat docks in brunswick. FRESH!

London, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Simon's or Jekyll

like other people have already said... Stay on Saint Simons Island, far more to see and do than on Jekyll. Jekyll Island is only about a 20-25 minute drive away, if you like golf then Jekyll has a few good courses, you have some good restaurants, hotels, etc but not a lot else. You say you don't like it too commercialized....

SSI is commercialized but saying that it is only a small island.... It has some nice restaurants and shops. I would try and stay near the pier area or east beach area as these are nice areas.

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Simon's or Jekyll

Thanks for the advice. St. Simons sounds like what we'd like. We don't mind development, but we try to avoid over-commercialization - if that makes sense.

Georgia
Level Contributor
100 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Simon's or Jekyll

We just got back from St Simons Island.

We found affordable accomadations thru HomeAway.

Our condo was beachfront with very nice beach area for walking and collecting shells.

Many more places to eat on St Simons than Jekyll.

We found St Simons to be cheaper and way nicer than Tybee.

St. Simons Island...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Simon's or Jekyll

Hey Beach Lover:

Though both are steeped in history, St Simons has more in the way of upscale accomodations and dining. Jekyll is somewhat old and dated, but slated for a major facelift in the near future. St Simons has about 1.5 miles of public beach which won't be crowded in March. After Memorial Day, its a madhouse. Jekyll has a gorgeous beach (30 minute drive from SSI), but at this time, that's the only real advantage over SSI. SSI all types of lodging based on your pocketbook. Check out HodnettCooper.com for ideas. Dining: all restaurants are pretty darn good. Good Luck. Coolray.

Gaithersburg,Md
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Simon's or Jekyll

My family needs to be in Jacksonville in August and then wants to stay on the Ga. barrier islands for 5 days.Don't need a fancy hotel but want a beach and shore/pier fishing.Many of the SSI and Jeckyl sites say the beaches disappear during high tides.Are there any nice hotels with permanant decent sized uncrowded beaches?

Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island