We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay at St. Simmons Island, GA

TN
12 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay at St. Simmons Island, GA

Tell me about it please and recs where to stay

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay at St. Simmons Island, GA

we will stay no where else but the beach club and have never been disappointed. several other visits to other condos left less than desirable results. the beach club is straight up honest, above board and you get what you pay for. best beach on the island too~

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay at St. Simmons Island, GA

We stayed at the Saint Simons Inn a couple of months ago. I loved that it was walking distance to the city center, with the shops & restaurants. We also loved that we could look out the window of our room and see the lighthouse. And because of the economy, we were able to get a pretty good rate. There really was no beach (a nice pier, but no beach) near the Inn, but it was a short drive to the east beach, which was nice, if fairly crowded (it was a week day at the end of March; I can only imagine how crowded it would have been had it been high season). We were pleased with our stay at the Saint Simons Inn.

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay at St. Simmons Island, GA

I dont think there is a bad place to stay on St. Simon. We stayed in a condo across from the King and Prince last year it was nice. This month we rented a house in the Village also loved it. East Beach is the only place you can use the beach all day long. There is ample parking at the old Coast Guard station and it has great facilities.

ATlanta
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay at St. Simmons Island, GA

St.Simons has a lot of options on places to stay depending on your situation. If you are going to be there just a few days to a week-and money is no object, you may prefer to stay on the beach. Until we bought our own place there, we always stayed at either the Beach Club or the King and Prince. The Beach Club is a favorite of the teenagers and some of the rooms have a view of the beach. Each room is allocated with a level: Platinum, Silver, etc. and price varies with the level and view you choose. The King and Prince is a beautiful resort, rich in history and lovely amenities and some of their rooms have a view of the beach. The Grand is the most pricey resort but each condo but is beautifully appointed and you are assured of getting a view from your room. A better option for those who are interested in a longer stay or are interested in a more economical approach, might be to consider checking out: www.VRBO.com for weekly/monthly rentals, either across from the beach or just a short walk away. We like to stay in the historic village area where there are condos and even houses for rent. They usually offer a little more room as well. There is so much to do on SSI, the historic village offers wonderful shopping and restaurants (don't get me started on the food!) and the pier is great for fishing or just visiting with the locals who are generally so friendly and helpful. The island has a grand history and the trolley tour is fun, as is the Ghost Walk, as a way of learning a little about the island. It is a truly unique little island as it is not been overrun by development yet and has been able to maintain it's natural beauty with giant oaks dripping with spanish moss. Historic Fort Fredricka, beautiful Christ Church and the pier/lighthouse area are all fun to explore as well. Hope you enjoy your stay!

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay at St. Simmons Island, GA

[QUOTE]don't get me started on the food![/QUOTE]

We enjoyed our stay on SSI (even if the beach was a major disappointment). We're seafood fans (when we travel to the beach - our primary travel destination), we have nothing but seafood; when we're that close to the source, we don't want to have anything but the fresh seafood. ;-) Our meals on SSI were among the best meals we've had on the ocean in the last 2-3 years. If we go back to SSI, it will be primarily because of the great food.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
696 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay at St. Simmons Island, GA

SWIBL

Could you let us know which seafood restaurants you liked? I would be interested in your thoughts. Sorry about the beach. The tides are strong on SSI and sometimes during a particularly high tide, they can be small.

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay at St. Simmons Island, GA

Susanna, the strong currents/tides aren't an issue because we don't swim -- we enjoy just walking/biking along the beach. We visited the east beach, but even on a week day at the end of March, the beach was very crowded (granted it was a very nice day for late March, but it was still too crowded for us to really enjoy the beach).

We especially enjoyed Crabdaddy's; we had dinner there two of the three nights we were on SSI. We had dinner the first night at Barbara Jean's; we were too tired from driving up from Florida and sight seeing that afternoon to drive anywhere for dinner, but we wish we'd eaten at Crabdaddy's all three nights. My husband has assured me that any time we're in/passing through southern Georgia, we can plan on stopping for the night on SSI in order to have dinner at Crabdaddy's.

We also really enjoyed having lunch outside at Catch 228. The service wasn't all that great, but we really enjoyed our grouper sandwiches there.

And for the life of me, I cannot remember the name of the place we ate lunch the first day we arrived on SSI. It was in the village ... it was on Mallory -- between 4th of May and Barbara Jean's, on the same side of the street as 4th of May. It wasn't any place special, but the grouper sandwich we had there was excellent.

We would have liked to have eaten at the Georgia Sea Grill, but we were on our way home from spring training in Florida and hadn't packed any dressier clothing.

And yes, we are seafood fanatics. ;-)

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay at St. Simmons Island, GA

sounds like dresners.....out favotite breakfast spot

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay at St. Simmons Island, GA

No, it's not Dresner's (I know I'd know the name if I heard it). My CRS is acting up - again. LOL

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay at St. Simmons Island, GA

Iguana's is the name of the place.

Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island