We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Simons vs. Amelia Island

Which Saint Simons Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Murfreesboro, TN
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
St. Simons vs. Amelia Island

We are looking at trying St. Simons Island this year instead of Amelia -- can anyone offer an opinion?

In particular I was wondering about the beaches - We found last year that at A.I. we had to trek a long way to get over the dunes before we reached the actual sand. What are the beaches like at St. Simons? Thanks!

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Simons vs. Amelia Island

If you are a beach lover Amelia would be your best bet. St. Simon's only beach at high tide is East Beach. But it is a great beach with lots of parking at the Old Coast Guard Station. My wife and I like St. Simon better for it quaintness and great resturants.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Simons vs. Amelia Island

St Simons has nearby Jekyll Island State Park with excellent beaches, far less development, interesting "cottages" from the bygone resort days of the Goodyears, et al.

St Simons has nice bicycling and a neat little town center with good eating. Also nearby Sea Island that is more upscale. And Brunswick on the mainland is nearby.

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Simons vs. Amelia Island

DH & I visited SSI a couple of months ago - our first visit. We really enjoyed the restaurants, but we were very disappointed in the beach (our primary purpose to visit SSI). The east beach is the best beach on the island, but even on a week day at the end of March, it was crowded.

The beach on Jekyll Island is more of what we were looking for, but we weren't keen on the lodging options (when we travel, we stay at hotels/motels because it's vacation -- meaning, I'm not cooking, cleaning, or doing anything other than taking it easy! LOL) and were very disappointed in the restaurant choices on Jekyll. It was too long a drive, IMHO, to stay on Jekyll and have to drive to SSI every day for lunch and dinner.

Overall, we enjoyed our time on SSI, but given that a good beach and good seafood restaurants are our priorities, we probably won't be back any time soon.

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Simons vs. Amelia Island

We always visit in May and September and have never found East beach crowded. Some of the best seafood Ive eaten was served on St.Simon. We drove down to Amelia on our last visit to St. Simon and have to say the beaches are better there. But the quaintness and charm of St.Simon wins hands down with us.

5. Re: St. Simons vs. Amelia Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2009, 05:32
Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island