We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt Air VIllas

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Salt Air VIllas

Visiting SSI in April for the first time! Has anyone stayed at the Salt Air Villas? They look nice, new & clean, but I'm wondering about convenience of location to the beach and the village.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt Air VIllas

Sunshine,

Have not stayed at the Salt Air Villas, but they were built in 2007-08 so should be clean and nice. I know, like many other developments started just before the economy collapse, many of the units have not been sold.

As far as convenient location to village and beaches, this is a great location. You are about a mile to the Village/Pier area and about the same distance to the beach parking area up by the Old Coast Guard Station where you will have beach sand availability 7/24. (Beach south of the King & Prince generally disappears for a 2-3 hour period before and after high tides as the waterlevel reaches the revertment wall.)

Location is also convenient to the grocery stores and other retail shops on the other side of the airport.

Enjoy your visit!

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt Air VIllas

Thanks for the info. I booked 3 nights in one of the Salt Air Villas - even got a 15% discount through the realty company handling them! I'll try to remember to do an updated post when we get back!

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salt Air VIllas

Just back from St. Simons Island where we stayed in Salt Air Villa #305B. Overall enjoyed the accommodations. The Villas are just under one mile from the downtown Village. Our unit was clean, quiet and roomy, with a jetted tub, walk-in shower, washer & dryer, mini kitchen, balcony w/chairs, and had wireless internet service. Based on info provided we thought we'd have a dishwasher, but did not. The lack of one wasn't a huge deal, but we weren't provided w/a start up supply of dish soap by the rental agency so we used our shampoo to do dishes the 3 days we were there. (The dishes that were in the cupboard when we arrived were dirty - probably because the previous renters didn't have dish soap either.) The only other thing we found lacking was that there was no radio or Ipod dock in the unit...not even a clock radio. As units are individually owned, however, other units may have those amenities. I'd rate the Villa 4 out of 5 stars.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
695 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salt Air VIllas

Thanks for your trip report. You seem very generous with your review. I would not be happy with your over all experience. Who did you use to rent the condo? It would help others to know the process you went through. I live on the Island so I don't have the information to advise people. I usually recommend Hodnett Cooper Real Estate Agency because of their large inventory of rental properties but would like to know if you used them or someone else and if there were problems. Your imput could help alot of people with the upcoming summer season. If you went through VRBO, that would be important too. Thanks for posting.

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salt Air VIllas

I rented through Hodnett Cooper and there were no problems with the rental agency. They quickly accommodated us when we checked in and since we checked out on a Sunday and they weren't open, we were instructed to just drop our keys in a drop box at their office. Very simple! They also gave me a 15% discount from the listed price when I booked - but I did book about 3 months in advance, so maybe that helped?

I guess we were overall happy because we've learned that vacations are what you make them. The villa was nice, new, clean, quiet & roomy. The fact that the info Hodnett Cooper provided erroneously indicated there'd be a dishwasher wasn't that big a deal - like I said, we were only there 3 days. Having no dish detergent did kinda bug me, but again, vacation is what you make it. All I had to do was either improvise (which I did) or buy dishsoap - problem solved. I advised Hodnett Cooper of the situation and imagine they would begin supplying renters with dishsoap, if it wasn't just an oversight in stocking our unit in the first place.

washington dc metro
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salt Air VIllas

I would think that a starter supply of dish soap would be provided too. If there is a dishwasher I would have thought both dishwasher soap and hand wash soap is supplied as a starter - I have rented through Golden Isles and usually have both in the house but maybe its the owner not the agency that supplies.

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salt Air VIllas

I'm pretty sure it was Hodnett Cooper stocking the villa.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salt Air VIllas

We've stayed at Salt Air several times. One time for work for about a year and we fell in love with it. All of the units we stayed in had dishwashers. I'm surprised yours didn't. Yours may be one of the only ones without. The beach is close and downtown is also. Security gate with code access. Elevator. Absolutely the only thing I found weird was guests could park on the grass...strange. And the large plants at the elevators had no pan under them so when they were watered, the water leaked through all over. Oh yea, one unit which we rented on two different occasions had whirlpool tubs that didn't work, both times we rented it. However, when we go to St Simons Island, we would not want to stay anywhere else. The place is huge, clean and we are looking into purchasing one.

Edited: 29 March 2013, 08:55
9. Re: Salt Air VIllas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island