We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Simons vs Amelia island

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
St Simons vs Amelia island

Taking a weekend trip three nights in October trying to decide between savannah, st Simons and Amelia island. Or a mixture of both. Want to do some sightseeing, beach, bike, tennis, nice dinners, photo opportunities.. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
694 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Simons vs Amelia island

If you are doing three nights, I would choose one location and stay there. I would say any would be very nice. Amelia Island has better beaches. I would ordinarily say St. Simons but October is a busy month, with the McGladrey Golf Tournament mid-month and Georgia/Florida week at the end of the month. Prices go up for that and lots of crowds. I would pick either Savannah/Tybee Island or Amelia Island.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: St Simons vs Amelia island

Thank you we will be traveling early in month

Edited: 07 August 2012, 03:20
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,998 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Simons vs Amelia island

I would vote for Amelia Island. We like St. Simons but not for the beach. Amelia Island has historic downtown area, Fort Clinch SP, nice beaches and good food. Should find affordable places to stay- we usually stay at the Residence Inn.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Simons vs Amelia island

I second Peach Belle. Amelia Island is a great place to visit. The weather should be very nice in October. Enjoy your visit.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Simons vs Amelia island

I vote for Amelia Island but then am biased living there now, but lived on SSI for a number of years and spent many summers there growing up as grandparents had a house there. Lots of similarity between SSI and AI although the historic district, dining and shopping options a bit more plentiful in Fernandina Beach / AI due to its larger size and population. SSI Village area is about a 60 minute drive from AI so that might be a nice day trip as Christ Church, Fort Frederica, Lighthouse on SSI all provide great photo opportunities. But then similar opportunities on AI with Fort Clinch, AI Lighthouse, several historic churches, Greenway, historic district. Lots of nice bike lanes and trails, dining options ranging from casual to fine dining. Enjoy your trip.

Long Island New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Simons vs Amelia island

I prefer St Simons for biking, tennis, photo shoots. with beautiful scenery and riding trails for miles. all level and shaded with massive weeping live oaks The dunes on East Beach to Goulds inlet are so pretty.

If visiting early October you are safe, as the Island packs out... with tour buses and hundreds of people for the Mc Gladrey.

Consider a Stay on Jekyll Island also The Jekyll island Club Hotel is lovely with an historic district & biking trails..

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
708 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Simons vs Amelia island

I vote for Amelia Island. It has great bike trails all over the island, especially if you stay in the Plantation.

To me, Amelia is a bit more upscale than St. Simons, but St. Simons is appealing in that it is very residential. People actually live in St. Simons Island year-round, instead of vacationing there at their second homes. In that regard, it is much more approachable.

I like that nearby Fernandina Beach and "downtown" Fernandina have plenty of casual dining.

Amelia isn't a mecca for nightlife and shopping - there is a little bit, but if you like to "go out" during your vacation, you might find yourself desperate for something to do. Amelia is very family oriented and quiet.

8. Re: St Simons vs Amelia island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island