We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tybee vs. st. Simon

Gatlinburg...
14 posts
Save Topic
Tybee vs. st. Simon

I'm trying to decide which of these two towns would be more quaint and historical? I like seeing all of the old homes on the beach. Also where would the best family places be to stay?

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tybee vs. st. Simon

Tybee is much more the place you're looking for. It is still pretty much and old-fashion beach town. SSI is much more developed. There are older sections inland, but most of the beach development is relatively new.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tybee vs. st. Simon

You may want to take a look at Jekyll Island as well. Personally, I'd skip those 2 and just go on to Jekyll.

Gatlinburg...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tybee vs. st. Simon

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tybee vs. st. Simon

Catherine,

A very different perspective if you are truly looking for quaint and historical. While SSI clearly has become more of a resort town over the last couple of decades, the charm of the downtown village, the many historical points (Christ Church, Fort Frederica, Bloody Marsh, etc.) far outnumber what you will find on Tybee. Depending on the time of the year you visit, Tybee can be quite crowded and parking can be a real challenge. Whilte it is true that many of the beachfront cottages have been replaced with multi-family condos, a walk through East Beach will show you the beauty of the older homes. Of course, 15 miles inland from Tybee is Savannah which has historical places galore.

Just my $.02.

5. Re: Tybee vs. st. Simon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island