We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tallulah Gorge - which rim?

Tyrone, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Tallulah Gorge - which rim?

Any thoughts or preferences on which rim to choose if you only have time for one?

21 replies to this topic
Georgia
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tallulah Gorge - which rim?

If I were you I would head right to TG stae park and take the walking trail at least down to the bridge & back up. Check out my review of TG as I have other helpful tips. Love hiking TG, have fun & be safe:)

Edited: 17 June 2014, 18:23
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tallulah Gorge - which rim?

The state park interpretative center in on the north rim. I'd go there to walk along the rim trail and enjoy the views from the overlooks.

If you want a strenuous hike, then take the 300+ steps to the suspension bridge and 200+ more to the platform over the gorge floor, overlooking Hurricane Falls. You can actually only go to the floor of the gorge if you are one of the first 100 people in the park that day and get a permit. Then it's back up. 1099 steps in all. If you come back up via the south rim, it's a 1.5 mile route in all - you cross back over the river at the road.

For a very quick stop, you can take a peek at the store on the south rim.

For a short visit, definitely go to the interpretive center and the overlook rim trail.

Based on what you say, you won't have time to do the 1099 stairs.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 19:52
Tyrone, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tallulah Gorge - which rim?

I appreciate both of your replies. I've been to the interpretive center before which was great and we went to one overlook. I don't think I'm up to the entire 1000+ steps but y'all have convinced me to at least going to the bridge. Thanks!

Tyrone, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tallulah Gorge - which rim?

I appreciate both of your replies. I've been to the interpretive center before which was great and we went to one overlook. I don't think I'm up to the entire 1000+ steps but y'all have convinced me to at least going to the bridge. Thanks!

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tallulah Gorge - which rim?

Your welcome! It really is worth the stairs. If you just go down the 1 side and then back up the same way you came to the Center it will be the quickest way to get a great look & half the hike. There are rest points and you can go at your own pace. Remember no crocs or flip flops:)

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
955 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tallulah Gorge - which rim?

Dumb question time: aside from the store on the South Rim, can you access the south side any other way than by walking there from the north side? I was there a few months back and visited all the north rim spots and prepared to drive to the south when I couldn't find a way to get there. I assumed afterwards I must have needed to keep going beyond the North Viewpoint #5 or via the bridge or something. I had a printout from the park website but it didn't do much good. I felt pretty dumb...but I had hiked 15 miles in the past 24 hours or so so I may not have been firing on all cylinders.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tallulah Gorge - which rim?

Scott, this is a common problem which I address in my review. Please give it a look and perhaps that will help:)

Tyrone, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tallulah Gorge - which rim?

Scarlett, isn't it possible to park at the beach area, walk under the highway, up the stairs, and cross the gorge via the highway bridge and access the south rim without ever going on the north rim or to the interpretive center area? I've read this elsewhere and I think this may be what Scott is getting at. Correct me if I misunderstood this.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tallulah Gorge - which rim?

Why would you want to do this? To save on the $5 parking fee?

Maybe I'm missing something...

Tyrone, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tallulah Gorge - which rim?

No, there is still a fee at the beach area. You would do it for more direct access to the south rim. A shorter hike.

Reply to: Tallulah Gorge - which rim?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tallulah Falls