We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost for a safari for two

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cost for a safari for two

Hi all,

I have just started on my research for our 2013 Tanzanian Safari and have read thru a lot of valuable information available here. A big thank you to all who contribute here.

In order to get a prelimnary budget for the inland portion, I wanted to know the cost I should be looking at for a 15-18 day trip (not all of it on a Safari). From what I've read, I think we want to do the Northern circuit safari for 8-10 days with lazing around and travelling here and there for the rest (don't know where though).

So, what should I be looking at spending for a budgeted trip, nothing extravagant (medium range lodges and private tents), for two, in the Jan-Feb time range?

62 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost for a safari for two

For just totally ballpark figures... for the safari part... if by private tents you mean basic camping... tents, a driver and cook, shared bathroom facilities "down the way..." you could start around $150 pppd... though I'd think more in the $200 because you don't want to limit distances traveled or try to cut corners on park fees.

For a true middle-of-the-road figure, lodges and camps with big ensuite tents, I use $300-400 pppn as a "reasonable" figure. Our 10 days worked out to under $350 and we thought we had a little luxury included, like our two nights at Exclusive Mobile Camps in the northern Serengeti.

It is very easy to spend double or triple this... we've known several people who use the $1000 pppn figure. To us that seems like overkill - like trying to just bring Western style comforts into a wilderness... but it appeals to some.

Some people don't even blink at numbers like this - for us, budget independent travelers, it was eye-popping until we got clear on the idea of the special expenses involved in this kind of travel and the unique rewards. Also note - there are high and low seasons with some difference in prices, so I can't say that our Oct-Nov. prices will match your Jan-Feb. ones...

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
822 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost for a safari for two

I would generally agree with IA above. We probably did a bit higher-end than the "true middle of the road". I would say somewhere around $500 pppn while on safari, and $100 pppn the rest of the time (beach, town, airport, whatever) would make for a very nice trip. This would be pretty much all-inclusive, including private guide/vehicle.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost for a safari for two

Thank you. Now I at least have some sort of an idea of what to expect.

I would ideally like to do it in the same range as yours - may be I need to re-think the timeframe. Thanks though.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost for a safari for two

Thanks Judy. What time of the year did you go?

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost for a safari for two

We are paying $277 per person per night for 8 days 7 nights (total $1945) in mid range lodge/tents (Tarangire SL, Kirurumu Manyara, Ngorongoro Sopa) this coming October.

What I would say is that it pays to shop around. You will find that different TO will quote different prices for exactly the same itinerary. Our quotes varied from $1900 to over $2300 for exactly the same safari. So decide where you want to go and where you want to stay and what you want to do and then send this to about 5-8 TO's and see what prices come back then take it from there.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost for a safari for two

Bristol - That is a good price. Is there anyway I can get in touch with you in order to get info on the operator you are dealing with?

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost for a safari for two

For a private safari for 2 people, I am paying $360.00 USD per person per day for a 7 day/ 6 night safari of the 4 northern parks, with Safari Infinity. We are staying in (smallish) permanent tented camps, that I guess would be considered semi-luxurious. They have en-suite baths and real beds and the cost includes all meals, unlimited mileage and all park entry fees. I feel that I am getting a great bargain from them, as I had quotes that ranged from $1700 - $4000 per person for similar accommodations (except the $1700 version, which was all lodges).

My advice - When seeking quotes, you need to be real clear about the type of accommodations you want. I mistakenly thought "camping" would cost less than lodges, until I learned what "camping" can entail : everything from basic pup tents to super-luxurious suites that cost upwards of $1000 a night, with leather furniture and chandeliers. I wanted the "sleeping outdoors" experience and insisted on avoiding lodges, but had no idea how costly that could be. Figuring that out was my biggest learning curve in the process.

Oh....and our dates are the last week in June of this year, so I think not really high season, but not low-season either? Working with Lucia from Safari Infinity was a joy, and thus far I highly recommend them.

Happy travels!

Edited: 27 April 2012, 18:44
nyc
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost for a safari for two

Kathy F -

June is already 'high season' in Tanzania.

Edited: 27 April 2012, 19:26
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost for a safari for two

Thank you, Kathy for the clarification on 'camping'. I was also under the impression that if I camped in tents, it would be cheaper and was actually going to suggest just that to the operators. Much to learn. Thank you.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost for a safari for two

Most has been said very well already. Just a couple of pointers. Jan/Feb is peak of peaks in S.E. Serengeti as this is calving time. Others have drawn your attention that "Camping" can mean all things to all men (and women.)

There are some who are quite happy with basic site, shared ablutions, and a cook using a fire. Then there are those that think Camping includes a Claw foot enamel bath, armchairs and gramophone as well as a Butler to bring the cold Champagne in a bucket.

So do pleae be specific about the level of comfort sought!

Reply to: Cost for a safari for two
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted