We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on must see spots with limited time in Arusha

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Tips on must see spots with limited time in Arusha

Any suggestions on what to see or skip with 1 day in Arusha to check out sights. Tips on the places to visit vs waste of travel time, tour companies that handle day trips are appreciated. It is too short of a time to see everything and would love some help. Will be in area mid-September.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips on must see spots with limited time in Arusha

I would just walk around and visit the markets and shops.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips on must see spots with limited time in Arusha

It depends on what else you are doing and your interests. I used one day to get a SIM card, visit a book store, visit Shanga workshop, shop at the Maasai/Mt. meru market, etc. there are also cultural trips in the area, or you could visit Arusha NP.

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips on must see spots with limited time in Arusha

Hoping on giraffe & Masai at least while in TZ. If possible. Thx!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,565 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips on must see spots with limited time in Arusha

We really enjoyed a day in Arusha NP. The walking safari with the ranger was fun, and seeing the colobus monkeys was great.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips on must see spots with limited time in Arusha

In one day you can easily go to Tarangire NP, it will be in it's prime at that time of the year, and full of elephants, buffalo, giraffe, etc, and of course all their predators. It will take about 2 hours to get into the park from Arusha, if you leave early in the morning you can have almost a full day there and come back late afternoon. I have done this several times. Almost any safari operator can do this for you, like Basecamp Tanzania, Roys, Bobbys, or any of the others listed on the right side of the web page for the Tanzania forum (Top Questions about Tanzania).

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips on must see spots with limited time in Arusha

I am in Arusha right now. Of cause you can go to Arusha NP, but if you are going on safari anyway why not see some of Arusha?

The Cultural Center is an impressive museum, but not the place to buy. For shopping there is the Maasai market, but bargain hard. Shanga River House has nice lunch and lovely items made by handicapped people for sale.

Just today we bought some lovely carvings at The Craft Shops on Coliondoi Rd. near the Clock Tower for gifts. We always spent several days in Arusha after safari and find plenty to do here.

7. Re: Tips on must see spots with limited time in Arusha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 19:38
Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips on must see spots with limited time in Arusha

Thank you everyone for advice and suggestions. I would love to see Tarangire & the market if time permits. I am traveling with co-worker (female) and I want to confirm that if we go to market it should be during daylight, etc.

Any additional tips, ideas appreciated.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips on must see spots with limited time in Arusha

Arusha and most cities in Tanzania is not the place to be walking about after dark, take a taxi. The markets will close before dark (about 5:30pm) so that people in the shops can get home before it gets dark.

10. Re: Tips on must see spots with limited time in Arusha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Arusha Region