We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari in Serengeti and Ngorongoro

Kampala, Uganda
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safari in Serengeti and Ngorongoro

am in the process of organizing a safari to the above in Feb'14. thinking about 4/5 days will arrive in Dar. Any ideas and recommendations welcome

4 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari in Serengeti and Ngorongoro

This depends on the sort of safari you want to be honest, the range is huge. Group safari or private? Camping or lodges or luxury tents? The range is probably from about US$150 ppn all in for a group camping safari in minivans right up to around US$2,000 ppn for a flying safari in the very top end luxury lodges so there is a huge range. If you give us some indication of the type of thing you want, one of us here will be able to give you a better indication of the costs you can expect to be looking at.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,318 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari in Serengeti and Ngorongoro

These locations are on the northern circuit which tend to start from Arusha....another flight or a day's bus ride from Dar. If you must arrive in Dar then consider a southern circuit safari including Ruaha or Selous parks. Otherwise arrive in JRO (Kilimanjaro) airport for your requested locations.

Return to the Tanzania forum and on the right of the screen is a list of top questions. Fourth down list operators who are reliable. You could send them a request with some idea of budget level and number of days. This will give you some idea of itinerary and availability. Feb is a busy time as it is calving season for the migratory herds and at this date a lot of lodging may be booked up.

Kampala, Uganda
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari in Serengeti and Ngorongoro

Thank you so much for your reply. I have not booked flights as yet so the airport of arrival can be to suit tour operator. I do not want luxury camping but do not want basic either tent. Mid range lodge would probably be best as I know luxury camping is top end prices. 4/5/6/ days is also open. There will be 3 of us. I dont think we need to do a private safari am quite happy to share a vehicle.

Kampala, Uganda
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari in Serengeti and Ngorongoro

Thank you for suggestions. I thought they were southern circut. No flights booked as yet so can take that into consideration. Any suggestions on the accommodation? Do not want luxury camping (price) but do not want basic with pit latrine if at all possible.

Reply to: Safari in Serengeti and Ngorongoro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dar Es Salaam Region