We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

35 hr layover at DAR - time for quick trip to Zanzibar?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
90 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
35 hr layover at DAR - time for quick trip to Zanzibar?

Hello,

We arrive DAR AT 13:30 and depart next day to Arusha at 11:30.

Time for ferry to Zanzibar?

Any other recommendations?

Love adventure!

Padua, Italy
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 35 hr layover at DAR - time for quick trip to Zanzibar?

Hello. Although the hours available are 35, I advise you not to waste too much time; the ferry takes about 2 hours and then it is better to consider a domestic flight which in 20 minutes will take you to Zanzibar. You can sleep in Stone Town, visit it very well and enjoy a fantastic evening in some seaside restaurant.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 35 hr layover at DAR - time for quick trip to Zanzibar?

I have done day trips to Stone Town several times (I had to meet people there typically). Since you are at the airport I would advise you to take a flight there and back since you need to get to the airport from the ferry port if you take a ferry, and that will take at least one hour and probably more, depending on traffic, to get from the airport to the ferry port. A flight is going to cost about $90 each way and if they don't include the departure tax (Precision Air doesn't) you will have to pay for that also.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,617 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 35 hr layover at DAR - time for quick trip to Zanzibar?

... there's a departure tax leaving ZNZ returning to DAR (believe it's about $40.... someone correct me if I'm off on cost). On purchase of air tickets, depending on the carrier... verify if the departure tax has been included as you sure don't want to pay twice.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 35 hr layover at DAR - time for quick trip to Zanzibar?

I think it's a different amount if you are international or domestic. Domestic is something like $10, international ~ $40.

5. Re: 35 hr layover at DAR - time for quick trip to Zanzibar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2015, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Dar Es Salaam Region