We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple questions...

St. Louis
2 posts
Save Topic
A couple questions...

1. Can you have alcohol on the beach?

2. Planning on a trip in July, are the bugs bad?

3. Where is "Sand Point Run", I cannot find it on Google earth.

4. Are there grocery stores on the island? What about other shopping?

Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple questions...

We just got back from a trip to Savannah and a day trip over to Tybee Island. I believe I saw a small grocery store on Tybee. There was a Walmart just a few mins. over the bridge in Savannah. A row of beach shopping stores were near the pier. Take plenty of quarters.All the beach p.lots and streets with shops had 'meters'.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple questions...

Shopping is one small grocery store and a few tourist item convenience stores. The main shopping is done on Wilmington or Whitemarsh Island. Big super market, Walmart, etc. Nothing fancy, just the usual merchandise. You will go across these islands on your way to Tybee.

What is Sand Point Run? Is it one of the newer residential areas at Tybee?

Read the link to answer you questions about alcohol

http://tybeevisit.com/do-nightlife.php

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
524 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple questions...

I am just back from Tybee. Here are some answers:

1) You can have alcohol on the beach, but no glass. The beach is also patrolled by the police, so things are very much under control.

2) From what the locals told me, by July and August the sand gnats are out and the heat and humidity are up.

3) I am not familiar with Sand Point Run. However, I am a runner and I have 2 teens who do cross country and track. They ran every morning on the 5 miles of beach. There is also the old railroad track that runs along the Savannah River that has been turned into a biking/running path. Both places are great to run.

4) There is a Publix and a Kroger on Johnny Mercer Blvd. on Wilmington Island, which is just west of Tybee. You have to cross it to get to Tybee. On Tybee there is a small IGA and some convenience stores, along with souvenir shops. Wilmington Island has a better selection of shopping venues than Tybee, and Savannah is only 18 miles away. Hope this helps.

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
608 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple questions...

I believe Sand Point Run is on the north end of the island but I am not positive.

St. Louis
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple questions...

Thanks for your help everyone!

We were looking at renting a house, and the address was 1205 Sand Point Run, but I couldn't find it on Google Earth or mapquest and curious abour its location.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple questions...

http://tybeeisland.com/tybee-island-map.shtml

take a look at this map. If it is on the north end,around that point, it is more on the Savannah River than the ocean. You might want to ask. There are quite a few new places opening up in that area. Not the same sort of beach as the ocean, no life guards, but it can be quieter. It's fun to watch the big ships going in to the ports farther up the river.

7. Re: A couple questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2008, 00:51
8. Re: A couple questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island
Recent Conversations