We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kayaking

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Central City...
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
kayaking

Is it possible to kayak if you don't (can't) swim? It seems like a wonderful thing to do, but my boyfriend and I are both unable to swim, although not terrified of water with a life jacket.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: kayaking

Do you mean in the ocean? That's not a good idea unless you are familiar with the area, especially if you can't swim. There are strange, unexpected currents at times. The water close to shore would have swells and waves. Are you experienced in handling a kayak in that sort of situation?

However, there are rivers all around the area where you will be able to kayak.

Central City...
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kayaking

Oh, no, no, I wouldn't want to go in the ocean!!! I have seen some river/marsh trips that look interesting. My boyfriend is pretty fearless, for a non swimmer, but if that kayak is the type that will easily flop over, I would not enjoy myself. I guess my question is, are these little boats more like canoes? And if we stuck to the river areas would a non swimmer feel secure.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
1,121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kayaking

try nativeguidetours.com in nearby bluffton sc

excellent informative trip

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: kayaking

Have you been to this site?

www.seakayakgeorgia.com/Trips/daytrips.htm

Check out their home page

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
507 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kayaking

I own a boat and a canoe and have kayaked in Canada and Tybee. The first rule of thumb when it comes to boats is that the larger the boat the more stable it is. Think of a cruise ship...you hardly even feel like you are moving. Now you need to think of a kayak and think about sitting low in the water and feeling every movement. I will presume you would wear a life jacket, but even with that you should feel comfortable about getting wet and knowing what to do if you have to leave the kayak. This is especially true in large lakes and the ocean, but even in marshes and creeks things can happen. I think you either need to get some swimming lessons, or some boater safety lessons, where they teach you what to do when your canoe or kayak turns over, OR choose larger boats, where the risk of having to swim is less. As fun as boating sounds, you do knowledge about the boat, the area you are boating in and safety measures for you and others. Stay safe and please don't even think about kayaking in large bodies of water with currents.

Central City...
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kayaking

Thank each of you for your reply. It sounds like I would be better off finding a sunset boat cruise or a dolphin cruise. I would hate not only to flop over and have a horrible time, but to ruin the experience of everyone with me by screaming like a girl. I think we will wait until we get to Tybee and try to look at these little kayaks first.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
1,121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kayaking

in bluffton you are in the may river, not the ocean, and with experienced guides quite safe. it's a marvelous experience naturally with life vests. we felt very safe and secure and were never out of site of land, usually 20 to 50 feet of water separating us so no worries.

Central City...
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kayaking

This whole question may be moot since my extremely brave boyfriend changed his mind when I said "dolphins, fish and ALLIGATORS". LOL

9. Re: kayaking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 02:16