We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me all about Tybee Island...

Eastern Kentucky
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tell me all about Tybee Island...

I was considering vacationing in Hilton Head, but the more I see about Tybee Island, I think it may be more me. How are the beaches? I want to go the lighthouse and Fort Pulaski. What else is there to do? What are some neat things to see in Savannah? It's just my DH and me.

How is the nightlife? Is there anything to do in the evenings?

Lastly, is it possible to find a condo or house to rent that's within walking distance of restaurants? How expensive is lodging?

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me all about Tybee Island...

Tybee island is much smaller than Hilton Head. It is also a lot more laid back. There are not the malls and that that of stuff. You can easily walk from on end of the island to the other. There that on Hilton Head. There are some nice places to eat on the island but they are not the chain places.

Savannah is going about 30 minutes away.

Do a seacrch for tbee and find the local websites. They would be able to point you in the right way for the island.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me all about Tybee Island...

As John says, there are tons of similar posts about Tybee here. Nighlife is very low key, revolves around a few small, sometimes hopping bars. There are some nice restaurants and alot of very casual laid back ones. Its a flip-flop, t-shirt kind of island with alot of beer. There are tons of places to rent, we can easily find a motel for under $90 and cottages for around $100 a night, sometimes less depending on the season. Downtown Savannah, about 14 miles away has tons of restaurants, music venues, theatres and fabulous strolling opportunities. We go there for nightlife although there is Tubby's off Rt 80 (I think, still learning) on Thunderbolt (I think) and a few other smallish kick-back places to relax and sometimes dance heading towards Tybee. The lighthouse visit will take all of 5 minutes but its nice beach walking and casual biking around the island in general as well as kayaking and laying around on the beach. Nice, very wide beach with a cool pavilion that runs right over the waves and you can rent bikes and ride right on the beach. Can you tell we love it there?

Eastern Kentucky
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me all about Tybee Island...

Thanks for the info. I had been told that Tybee Island was kind of trashy and known as a party spot for military personnel. I was concerned that it may be dirty and unsafe, but all the photos I see are so pretty.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me all about Tybee Island...

No Tybee is not trashy. It is not Hilton Head or the Grand Strand but a rather laid back little island. It is mostly homes and condo with some businesses thrown in. There will be a lot of military there on the weekend but you need to realize that we have Hunter here in Savannah and 30 miles away is Fort Stewart.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell me all about Tybee Island...

I agree, not trashy, but not fancy either. Frankly, I haven't seen any military folks there and there are a number of quiet folks who clearly prefer their alcohol above other food groups, but no big deal. No trash, just a laid back time!

St Paul
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell me all about Tybee Island...

Tybee is a charming little island. It feels like real people live and play there. Next visit to Savannah will start and end on Tybee.

Everywhere
Level Contributor
181 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell me all about Tybee Island...

Tybee is my favorite place in the whole world. The last time we were there (in December) we never left the island at all.

The nice pasrt about Tybee is that it is very quiet and laid back but if you want to cut loose Savannah is a short drive away.

Lodginng is very reasonable and yes it is very possible to find a condo or a house that you can walk to the shops and restaurants but remember the island is very small so everything is close.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
36 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tell me all about Tybee Island...

I also love Tybee. We stayed in a super clean nice 3 bedroom condo. Loved beach watching from our patio. Savannah was a short drive away and we went there many times. Tybee is not trashy. It's just not hugely inhabited. The local bars are ordinary. The pizza place is good, but small and local. The sundowner or sun cafe - I don't remember what it's called - supposedly catered JFK Jr's wedding. And really, it's just a small cafe. Something you wouldn't blink twice at. There have been movies filmed here and some famous hollywood types like it there. If you saw one of them, you wouldn't blink twice at them either. They're just neighbors.

It's a cool place to be. I miss it.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tell me all about Tybee Island...

Thinking about bringing the family for a day trip. I was told the beach is really nice and there are shells and sand dollars and cool little things for the kids to explore. Is this true, or should we just stay in Hilton Head. We love to expand our horizons and be adventurous. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tell me all about Tybee Island...

I like Tybee more than Hilton Head. But remeber Tybee is smaller and laid back. It does not have the putt putt and stuff but it has a nice beach.

John

Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island
Recent Conversations