We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay on Tybee?

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Titusville, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we stay on Tybee?

I'm hoping some last minute deals will pop up. We are headed to Tybee May 6-9. Looking for an affordable place with a pool to stay for 4 quiet adults in our late 20's, early 30's.

I found a AAA rate of 107.11 if we all share a room at the Ocean Plaza Resort. I also see that the Howard Johnson has rooms for $89.

Any advice? We were trying to get a rate of around $80/night. I've looked into condos too and can't seem to find anything in our budget.

We will be in Charleston the 1-4, Cumberland Island/St Marys 4-6, Savannah/Tybeee 6-9.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we stay on Tybee?

We stayed at the HJ last year for a couple of nights. Its VERY basic so if you only need a place to wash up and sleep, its fine but there are ZERO amenities. Basically, its a step above a youth hostel. It was fairly clean, horrible coffee and so called continental breakfast. No elevators, very dark rooms. But again, to clean up and sleep, its fine

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we stay on Tybee?

Ocean Plaza is on the ocean. However you will need to be on the top floors for a view. The ground floor has a nice parking lot view and the back side of the dunes.

John

wisconsin
Level Contributor
36 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we stay on Tybee?

No pool, but this is where we stayed.

http://www.vrbo.com/56838

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
509 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we stay on Tybee?

I have stayed at the Ocean Plaza and found it adequate, although a bit worn around the edges from the wear and tear of water and sand. I found it clean and the rooms are large. Poster John is right about wanting a room on the ocean view side from the second floor up. Here's the reason. The Ocean Plaza is really NOT directly on the beach. There is small public parking lot that separates it from the dunes and then the beach. So, if you have an ocean view room on the first floor, not only do you not see the ocean,but you overlook the public parking lot. Same thing for non-ocean view rooms. They overlook the hotel parking lot and first floor rooms here get the car headlights. The Ocean Plaza does have pools, but they are very small and located adjacent to the hotel parking...without extensive amenties. Here are the advantages of the Ocean Plaza: it is just steps from a great beach, it is within walking distance of downtown shops and the huge pier that jutts out into the water and it has a restaurant onsite, although I did not eat there. I think for the money you want to spend, the Ocean Plaza is a good deal. Just remember, that Tybee is very laid back and most of the lodging options reflect this.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
705 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we stay on Tybee?

We spent one night in Tybee and stayed at the Ocean Plaza.

Pros: the people were very nice, the restaurant was excellent, it is a short walk to what few shops there are, and the room was very clean

Cons: you have to cross public parking to get to the beach, the parking lot was very noisy with young people, our room was not ready for 2 hours after check in (they did give us $25 off for our troubles, sleeper sofa was horrible though the beds were great.

All in all it wasn't bad. Try the grouper fingers and the she crab soup!

6. Re: Where should we stay on Tybee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 05:36