We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad experience with rental (long)

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SC
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bad experience with rental (long)

Unfortunately I can't post a review on the property because it's not one of the rental units listed, but I would like to share just in the event that someone is looking into this place.

My husband booked a "condo" (it's actually a duplex) on Tybee based for part of of Honeymoon, based largely on the photos and a good review from a home rental website. Now, let me explain that we have both been to Tybee when we were younger and had great experiences. We also knew to expect the typical beachy houses and not fancy luxury hotels. That's part of what makes Tybee so great.

That said, we certainly didn't expect the absence of walls and cleanliness. We called ahead to see if we could check in early, and were told by the "housekeeper" that we could. So we drove from Savannah to Tybee and upon arrival we were led into the unit and quickly realized that instead of a fourth wall in the bedroom there was what appeared to be a large mattress or piece of foam covered by a stained sheet (I have pictures but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link them). You could easily hear the couple staying in the other unit and I could even see their foot shadows underneath the partition. Then the housekeeper (who we later learned was not the housekeeper at all but someone the owner had called at the last minute to clean the unit-- and in exchange allowed him to stay there) told us that he still needed to get his food out of the fridge. So we waited he gathered his things. Then he came from outside the unit carrying four loofahs and told us that he had cleaned off the sponges for us and proceeded to hang them in the bathroom. I'm sorry, maybe other people do this, but that just grossed me out. I won't go into further detail because this post is already a novella, but our overall impression was that the place was not ready for guests, and was not professionally cleaned (or cleaned at all). I felt very uncomfortable there, and we decided to cut our honeymoon short (despite having already paid for 2 nights there at nearly $200/night).

Perhaps we overreacted, but the owner later admitted to and made excuses for everything we experienced, which only confirmed our impressions of the place. He also did not offer a refund. Granted, I understand that he could have rented to someone else, but if he admitted that the place was unsatisfactory and not in rent-ready condition, I don't see how he could expect us to be in the wrong. If anyone wishes to know the name of this rental, you may message me privately.

Hoschton
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad experience with rental (long)

What is the name of the rental. I've been reading reviews on Tybee and it sounds like they should have health inspections just like restaurants.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad experience with rental (long)

Spice3,

Who was the rental company and what was the name and location of the place?

All in all Tybee is nice but there are some bad apples out there.

John

Tybee Island, GA
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad experience with rental (long)

I am so sorry that you had such a horrible experience on your honeymoon. It seems to me from what you mentioned that you rented from a private property owner vs. a property management company. While I believe the vast majority to private rentals by owner are legitimate it and offer vacationers great experiences one reason to consider a professional company is to ward against this kind of problem. Most on Tybee have professional housekeeping and maintenance on staff, 24/7 emergency contact, and other homes and condos that they can move you too if you are not satisfied with the one you originally rented. I would recommend in the future that you explore what these companies can offer you in the way of confidence in renting.

List of Professional Vacation Rentals Companies on Tybee Island:

tybeeisland.com/tybee-rental-companies.shtml

I would also recommend anyone who is a member of the Tybee Island Association of Rental Managers: http://www.tiaratybee.com.

Manchester...
Level Contributor
81 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad experience with rental (long)

could you give me the name of this unit? This will be our first time in Tybee with my elderly mother in law and I really don't want to go through what you have. I'm sorry about your honeymoon.

Robi

onlinethriftshop@gmail.com

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
745 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad experience with rental (long)

I also would like the name of this propity and person renting it we will be renting for December of this year and think we found a place but want to be sure it not this rental.

kettermn@bellsouth.net

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad experience with rental (long)

What is the rental name? "Marlenegrant@aol.com"

Atlanta
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad experience with rental (long)

Why would you not be allowed to post the name? Isn't this what forums are for? A lot of people post business names here whether good or bad. I am very sorry that your honeymoon turned out this way, but if you are going to spend the time to write a review, why do it if it doesn't help anyone? Please post the name to help others. Thank you.

8. Re: Bad experience with rental (long)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2010, 07:16