We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So, what's "central beach" like?

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
So, what's "central beach" like?

We are planning a trip to Tybee this summer in June and have reserved a condo at central beach. The reviews that I have heard about Tybee are mixed at best. I know that south beach is usually nuts in the summer, but it central a little more peaceful. We are going with my in laws and my three kids and we would like to have some semblance of peace and quiet.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Tybee Island GA
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So, what's "central beach" like?

Central Beach is known as mid-island.

What street are you staying on?

1st to 111th street is about midisland and it is wonderful. Wide, sandy beaches.

The only beach that is questionable is at the very north end where the Savannah River enters the Atlantic Ocean.

South Beach is the more popular end of the island and is closest to the Pier.

The busiest weeks are July 4th, Memorial Day weekend and St Patrick's Day week.

Otherwise, during the week it is not that crowded. The weekends during June and July are busy because of the "locals" from Savannah and Effingham County.

Tybee is a very special place - no high rises, very laid-back. You don't "dress" to go anywhere. Locals are continually trying to keep it that way. Condos are trying to take over and many old beach houses are being lost. Better hurry and get to Tybee before they are gone.

Not anything like Hilton Head, just so you know. It is known as the cleanest beach on the Georgia Coast. Many say this is because dogs are not allowed on the beaches. Too bad, my lab loves to swim in the ocean.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So, what's "central beach" like?

I think you'll be just fine on central beach.

I have a special place in my heart for Tybee. Nobody's wearing "resort wear" or acting high and mighty. Very casual and do what you like.

Enjoy your stay!

Mentioned in this post
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA