We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Best of Both Worlds???

MO
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Topic
The Best of Both Worlds???

Hi...boy do I need help. I have always wanted to go to Savannah....it's on my bucket list. My DH loves the beach.....so I was wondering if we would have to best of both worlds if we went to Tybee Island and spent time ( a long weekend....4 days) at the beach and exploring Savannah. We have never experienced the beaches of the Atlantic...always the Gulf or Caribbean. will we be disappointed? My DH loves to snorkel and I love just being on the beach. We are looking at late September early October. I would love to have some input from those that know,. thanks

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Best of Both Worlds???

Tybee and Savannah would work for a 4 day weekend. Just keep in mind that this is not a gulf beach. The sand is not snow white and the water is not clear. With where we are located the water is dark green. In knee deep water you may or may not see your feet.

john

MO
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Best of Both Worlds???

Thanks for your reply............I had no idea the water was so different...sounds like snorkeling is out of the question.........ummmmmmm

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Best of Both Worlds???

yes it is out of the question.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Best of Both Worlds???

Other than the lack of snorkling, I personally think you will love both the city and the beach, we truly think it IS the best of both worlds!

MO
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Best of Both Worlds???

do people go in the water? is it safe? sorry to sound so ignorant about the area but I am!!

new jersey
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Best of Both Worlds???

And remember that no dogs are permitted on the beach.

Its not that Tybee does not like dogs,Tybee constructed 2 dog parks on the island, but dogs on the beach is considered a health issue. The rule is enforced.

new jersey
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Best of Both Worlds???

And remember that no dogs are permitted on the beach.

Its not that Tybee does not like dogs,Tybee constructed 2 dog parks on the island, but dogs on the beach is considered a health issue. The rule is enforced.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Best of Both Worlds???

Yes, people go in the water and it is safe. There's a nice pier and many people on the beach around it, but don't swim close to the pier, lots of fishing off it.

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
262 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Best of Both Worlds???

Hi...we aren't residence of Savannah or Tybee, but do visit for a couple weeks each year and have since 1999. We usually stay right on Tybee near the Pier at Tybrisa resort, spend our days on the island and evenings in the Historic District of Savannah. Tybee is a nice quiet, fun little island and we love the Historic District of Savannah, a short 20 minute ride.

Enjoy it, if you're like us, you will be coming back.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Best of Both Worlds???

Tybee is a nice small little island. I have said before and will say again it is a laid back island. Some people like the Mytle beach and Hilton head type places. Tybee is different in a good way.

Yes we swim in the water here. Thinking about heading down this weekend. In my 47 years i have only been strung by one jellyfish. So there is really not much to worry about in the water.

Tybee does have a rule about no dogs on the beach and it is year around. The fine starts at abou $250 and goes up. You will see some people slip a small dog on the beach but it is not worth it. Tybee likes to enforce the rule. Also they say no glass on the beach. They do post the rules at the beach walk overs so just take note. I would rather you leave your money in the businesses than city hall.

John

Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island
Recent Conversations