We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tybee for 5 nights in June - how many days to do Savannah?

Sherman, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Tybee for 5 nights in June - how many days to do Savannah?

We are staying on Tybee Island for 5 nights in June. I was just wondering, how many days should we plan to devote to exploring Savannah? We're arriving on a Monday evening. Should we do beach 2 days/Savannah 2 days? Beach 3 days/Savannah 1 day? I really love just relaxing on the beach, but I don't want to miss out on Savannah, either. What would you experts recommend? Thank you!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tybee for 5 nights in June - how many days to do Savannah?

Although I am no expert on the area, I will give my suggestion. We were there last summer. We spent two days on Tybee and one in Savannah. Had we had another day we would have spent it on the beach. Savannah is great, but we saw all we wanted in one day. We arrived early in Savannah and spent the entire day there. We did a trolley tour, city market, the historic district, and dinner and drinks. We didn't seem to get enough time on Tybee. We rode bicycles in the mornings and spent the afternoons at the beach. Evenings were spent at the local restaurants and the porch of our rental cottage. Why not try a day at each and decide how to spend the last day or two based upon your interests? After all ,Savannah is only 15 minutes away from Tybee.

Sherman, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tybee for 5 nights in June - how many days to do Savannah?

Thank you for your quick reply! Your description of your vacation sounds like just exactly what I am looking for! I have this overwhelming desire to plan everything out, and not miss anything, so I wanted to make sure I covered everything. Did you eat at Paula Deen's restaurant when you were in Savannah? The trolley tour really sounds like the way to go, too. Thanks, again!

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tybee for 5 nights in June - how many days to do Savannah?

Well my first impulse is to say as much time as possible. I don't think of Savannah so much as a place to "do", more of a place to be. Just hanging out is the best thing to do, imo. Walk the historic district, starting with Bull Street, and just check out anything that seems interesting. I think that you actually miss more by overly planning.

I'd stay far, far away from Lady and Sons, go to Mrs Wilkes instead.

Edited: 04 June 2010, 17:11
Sherman, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tybee for 5 nights in June - how many days to do Savannah?

Thanks for your input, RandSat. I like the idea of just hanging out and seeing what develops. It's just so hard to do sometimes with my type A personality. ;-) Duly noted on Lady and Sons. Thank you!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tybee for 5 nights in June - how many days to do Savannah?

You might find the Type A in you relaxing while you stroll the streets in the HD or while walking on the beach at Tybee. I am also a Type A until I get there. People who "plan" everything so they don't "miss anything" are missing the essential experiences of a new place, IMHO.

Sherman, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tybee for 5 nights in June - how many days to do Savannah?

I agree with you, Karrieb. I need a 12 step program! :-)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tybee for 5 nights in June - how many days to do Savannah?

We ate at Paula Deen's restaurant. Although people say to avoid it, I wanted to experience it for myself. I would not go back but am glad I ate there once. I just had to see what all the fuss was about. I understand your desire to plan everything. Trust me, It will be easy to lose that characteristic temporarily when you are at Tybee.

Iowa
Level Contributor
6 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tybee for 5 nights in June - how many days to do Savannah?

I agree...if you are "thinking' about Lady and Sons you should go and at least try it. I love Paula Deen and I am so glad we did try it, regardless of what the locals said...lol This year though we are going to try Geneva Geneva's Homeplate, what we heard last year on our trip to Tybee was that it was one of the best southern style restauraunts around Savannah! My husband is not fond of eating at the same table as strangers, as you would at Mrs. Wilke's.

9. Re: Tybee for 5 nights in June - how many days to do Savannah?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island
Recent Conversations