We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphins

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
GA
Level Contributor
142 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphins

This is a quick turnaround, but my husband and I are visiting Tybee Island and Savannah this weekend. We have our whole itinerary planned out, except for a desire to see dolphins on Tybee (part of the experience, right?).

We don't have a whole lot of time in our schedule for a dolphin tour, though we could fit one in. I've also heard the dolphins come out well in calm water near the Tybee Island Lighthouse and near the shrimp boats by Lazaretto Creek. I have a pretty nice camera and I'd love to catch one flipping in the ocean or even feeding up close. Any idea what the odds are of seeing them from the beach? Do I need to book a tour?

I really appreciate any advice. We leave tomorrow morning, and I just feel like I don't want to miss anything! Anything else we need to do on Tybee besides visit the lighthouse and stroll the beaches?

Thank-you-thank-you!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphins

Just before you get to Tybee and past the Fort Pulaski entreance on the right is a boat ramp. Turn here and follow the old road until it ends. The is a small fishing pier at the end and the Shrimp boat docks are across the river. It is only about 100 foot wide. The dolphins will hang out here as the boats come in. You could get some good pictures. '

If you cross the bridge and take the first right this will take you to Capt. Mikes Dolphin tours. He is the oldest in Savannah doing the tours and is good.

You may also see them sometimes from the ocean or back river pier.

Good luck and have fun

John

GA
Level Contributor
142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphins

Thanks! Sorry for the delayed response, but thank you for the advice. We went with Captain Mike's Dolphin Tours and you're right, they did a good job. I appreciate the help!

- ArtemisInLove

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphins

Sounds good. Capt. Mikes has been running them boats for several years now.

4. Re: Dolphins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 05:19