We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish!!

Nashville, Tennessee
6 posts
Save Topic
Jellyfish!!

We stayed at beach colony about mid-island labor day week and I got severely stung on tuesday. Got me about 5 times, first on torso and then the damn thing wrapped completely around my left bicep. Hurt like bloody hell!!! I lifted it off me arm with the unstung arm, only way to get away from it. Couldn't see it, it was transparent. Weren't any lifeguards around as beach sparsely populated post labor day. We put vinegar on it first, then shaving cream, which both neutralize the stingers, then shaved them off with a credit card. Took benedryl also. Now I'm 10 days out and still have a bad itching rash but thank God it's getting better. We both loved Tybee island but not it's jellyfish!!!! I was told by a local to plan my trip when the water is cooler (late April, early May), apparently the jellfish like warmer water. This is my third time being stung in my life and you can bet I won't go back to the beach without vinegar and seasafe lotion!!!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish!!

Sorry to here about your stings. This time of year they will be here a few days and gone. Kinda hit and miss. Besides vinagar there is a product out there for jellyfish stings, i forget the exact name. Also ammona (which I could spell) works too.

The clear ones you can't see are the ones that do the damage. The big purple/brown jellyfish don't seem to really sting.

Nashville, Tennessee
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish!!

Hi John and thankx for the sympathy and info. I'm now an expert on stings and have already ordered some 'SeaSafe' lotion, plus I'll be wearing a t-shirt, although I can't find any stories or evidence that wearing a cloth t-shirt is effective. I have read that the jellyfish tend to congregate 10 or 11 days after a full moon to breed, don't know if that is true or not but interesting.

Anyway I'll be more wary now but I'll be damned if these God-awful critters will keep me from enjoying the ocean, which I dearly love!! Take care and talk to ye later!

Jimmy from Twangtown (Nashville)

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish!!

Jimmy,

The full moon sounds about right. I have been going to Tybee for 47 years and only been strung once. I have been strung while casting for shrimp. The shirt does not seem to help.

new jersey
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish!!

Sorry to hear about the stings.

There is a product called Sea Safe, that the surfers use. You apply it & it's supposed to work like sun screen in preventing sunburn. It is supposed to prevent the sting of the jellyfish, if you come in contact with them. I've never used it personally. The surf shops on Tybee & other tee shirt shops might have this product. I don't believe it is in most folks' hometown pharmacy.

Nashville, Tennessee
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish!!

Hi dawg! I ordered 2 bottles of SeaSafe online, you are right I can't find it in Twangtown (Nashville). They aint cheap ($13/bottle) and are only 4 oz,

only enough for 4 complete adult doses head to toe, full protection for 1 hour. Well worth the money in my view!

The seavenger.com site has a great explanation on how it works and you can watch it tested by a tv reporter on youtube, search for jellyfish sting prevention video.

Edited: 22 September 2010, 17:49
Nashville, Tennessee
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish!!

then, I'm assuming you were stung thru the shirt?

ky
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish!!

We just returned from a week at tybee and there was jellyfish all over the beach! This is the most jellyfish I have seen on a beach. Thank goodness we were not stung but we only waded with shoes on.

Nashville, Tennessee
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish!!

wow, I thought the jellyfish might have cleared out by now (they like warmer water) but i guess not. I'm sure you know not to touch them as they can sting even when dead after several months! Hope you enjoyed your stay at Tybee. btw you can still see where I got stung and it's been 1 month now!

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Jellyfish!!

I will be visiting with my son for the Pirate Fest this weekend... Will the ocean be warm enough to swim in, and will these jellyfish begone by then?

Nashville, Tennessee
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jellyfish!!

I'm not a Tybee native but the weather for this weekend is high seventies at day and 50s at night, so the water will be cool,( maybe too cool), to swim. If you do decide to swim, first walk along the beach for a ways looking for jellyfish bodies. If you don't see any then I'd say let 'er rip but if you see 1 or 2 or more then stay away. You can buy SafeSea lotion at seavenger.com which will protect you from the stings if there are jellyfish present. Hope this helps and enjoy the pirate days matey! arrrrrr

Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island
Recent Conversations