We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picnic Fixings for Out of Town Visitors-where?

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Picnic Fixings for Out of Town Visitors-where?

I'm looking for a place to grab a picnic (or even appetizers/munchies) and wine or beer to take down to the beach when we drive over for the sunset as we're visiting from Savannah. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Also, best beach spots that are more isolated/private?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picnic Fixings for Out of Town Visitors-where?

Sadly Publix on Wilminton Island is probably your best bet for munchies and wine.

There is an IGA grocery store on the island, the selection is limited though.

For isolation go to the far north or far south ends of the island, lots of nice spots to sit and enjoy but way less people than the pier or between the pier and Marlin Monroe's.

Edited: 05 July 2012, 23:21
Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picnic Fixings for Out of Town Visitors-where?

Don't forget the sun set will be behind you if you are at the beach!!

The best place in town to watch the sunset is Rocks on the roof, the bar on the roof of the Bohemian hotel on Bay Street.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picnic Fixings for Out of Town Visitors-where?

I second Brain's comments. Now to add a couple. Just past Publix on 80 there is a Chu's 7 - 11 and a Wendy's. In the same building as Chus there is a liquor and beer store. They should have some wine.

Now if you head to the south end of Tybee where the back river and the beach come together that is another place to watch the sunset.

Just a reminder Tybee DOES NOT ALLOW glass bottles, etc on the beach. If they see you with it, even in your cooler they will give you a nice ticket. At the fireworks on the 3rd we watched 6 or 7 people get tickets for having glass bottles on the beach.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picnic Fixings for Out of Town Visitors-where?

Remember that Subway and KFC make good meals for a picnic. Publix's subs and deli items also work. I believe that is about as close to a "ready-made" picnic as you are going to get.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,843 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picnic Fixings for Out of Town Visitors-where?

Parker's Urban Market Gourmet at 222 Drayton is GREAT!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,158 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picnic Fixings for Out of Town Visitors-where?

I was about to suggest Parkers too. It might be a bit out of your way, but well worth the effort to avoid fast food. I go to Parkers every time I'm in Savannah.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
7. Re: Picnic Fixings for Out of Town Visitors-where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:15